Monday, June 19, 2006

Silver Linings

You know how when you have something that's lined--a bag, a pair of pants, a blazer, etc.--the lining is sort of free-floating and not fully anchored to that which it's lining?

It turns out that linings are constructed that way for a reason.

This weekend I got to exercise my sewing skills a little bit. I learned to line bags, and I am now that much closer to world domination my own line of luxury handmade products. I am permitted, and encouraged, to sew at my parents' house, but I cannot do anything that might make them have heart palpitations (i.e., no fire, no lye). I can mix and whip to my heart's content, and Ty came up with the brilliant idea of using the garage for my home lotion-making experiments. The garage! How brilliant! It turns out that it's not just a restaurant in the Village, but also a place where people who live in Normal America can do stuff that's too messy to do in the house.

On Sunday, we enjoyed a delicious Father's Day meal of bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon, followed by a lunch of Ty's special grilled lamb chops, with chocolate pound cake and melty vanilla ice cream for dessert. I got to hang with my brother Mr. Lashes for the first time in a long time, and, let me tell you, that kid is funnier and cuter than ever (sorry ladies, he's taken).

The drive home from my parents' place provided an opportunity for everyone to play Let's Stay in Our Lane!, and my basil plant survived the weekend and, in general, has not died yet. Things are looking up. I even got to talk to C.S., who's been camping in Arizona and Utah (no, she hasn't seen Dooce; I asked, too). She did, however, assure me that road runners are real, actual animals.

How was your weekend?

8 Comments:

Blogger Mignon said...

Our garage is only good for illicit smoke intake and storing the Baja-rrific. I think your gorgeous bags would be stinky and full of unwelcome nature if they were constructed in our garage.

And why aren't linings attached?

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to the Museum of Natural History where my Greenies got their fill of rocks, fossils, creepy crawlies, fish, spiders, dinosaur bones etc.

Sunday E and the kids went to a re-enactment of the Battle of Waterloo--and get this, Napoleon didn't show. He called in sick. How's that for lame? I stayed home and spent quality time with the washing machine.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Sounds like a nice weekend! Ah, "Let's Stay in Our Lane." One of my favorite games. ;)

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good weekend. Better than mine, because you were healthy. ;)

7:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We celebrated Father's Day, our 13th wedding anniversary and Kaitlyn turning 7 months old. Plus, I decided to stop writing my blog for a few weeks and catch up on housework.

I clicked on the Mr. Lashes link and read the Kermit the Frog story and got a little verklempt. Awww!

I want to hang out in Mignon's garage, oh yes I do.

12:02 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

You can sew? I can barely operate a safety pin.

For the summer - I am trying to find a second job to take my mind off from, well, my free time....

12:28 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I always thought that linings were unattached in case you decide that you're not spending $12 on drycleaning, you'll wash those wool pants on gentle, thanks very much, and then the lining stays long, but the pants don't, and you can now conceivably trim the lining, since it's not attached. Or is it just me that happnes to?

11:18 AM  
Blogger ptg said...

At the feedlot, we make our full line of cosmetics and scented candles out in the machine shed. We'd use the barn, but that is where we produce our designer hats.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home