Friday, June 16, 2006

Summer Itch

Now that summer's here, Ty and I will be spending a lot of time with my parents, who have a house that's in not the city, meaning that the temperature there occasionally feels cooler than the inside of a pizza oven.

Here's the thing, though: I'm just itching to make stuff these days. I want to sew and dip candles and saponify fats and make jam and pretend that I'm a pioneer woman, but with yuppie trappings like silk ribbons and essential oils. And air conditioning. While sipping a mojito with a pretty straw.

And my parents are the two cleanest people in the universe. My dad has been known to say, only half-jokingly, "I don't think she was being so unreasonable," while watching Mommie Dearest (referring, of course, to the obsessive cleaning, and NOT the beatings). If you leave a glass with a trace amount of liquid in it on a table, my mother will make it disappear in 15 seconds flat. These are not people who would appreciate loose threads flying all over their living room, and hot molten soap getting baked into their shiny new stovetop (and elsewhere, as the level of mojito within the glass falls). The whole benefit of having a daughter old enough to sprout her own gray hairs is that they are free to live in a spotless sanctuary.

So far, they've been very tolerant--even encouraging--of my sewing. They are very nice people. So, I'm wondering, mom and dad...if I promise to clean up...AND bring the rum...AND bring my own equipment so that I don't have to soil your flatware or bowls or anything, may I please whip shea butter in your kitchen?

5 Comments:

Blogger Mignon said...

Is this what people in the city do? Just move to their parents' homes in the summer when the city is on fire?

Shea butter recipe, please? Not that I have the time or patience, but a girl can dream...

12:00 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Mignon, since you and Mrs. Harridan are clearly the only ones who love me today (she sent me a sweet e-card), I have emailed you a link to lots of make-your-own-soap-and-stuff recipes. With your chemical engineering know-how, though, they'll probably be the chemistry equivalent of....I don't know, something really simple.

Boy, do I need the weekend.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I have the link too please? I want to learn how to make my own body lotion and lip balm. But if any chemical engineering skills are required, I'm screwed.

P.S. What are you doing living at MY Mom and Dad's house??Hee hee!

9:46 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Can I just buy some after you make it?

Your parents will survive. Go. Make a big fucking mess and then sell me some shea butter.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum...mojitos. I began growing mint so I could pick it fresh for that very concoction (and also for a variety of smoothies) and it should soon be ready. It doesn't know what it has coming to it.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home