Monday, June 12, 2006

Name that Tune

This weekend, I was mentally making myself a Jeter-and-A-Rod sandwich watching the Yankees while also taking in a dress I just bought (fit fine in the hips, too big in the bosom!).

I was focusing on my sewing and looking away from the screen when some unmistakable music started playing--the song that signals closer Mariano Rivera's entrance into the game ("Enter Sandman" by Metallica).

It's always a great moment. The tune is triumphant and knowing, yet also subtle and slow. It heralds the entrance of the best closer in the business. In my opinion, Mariano has a kind, steady face that, despite the Yankee pinstripes, might otherwise mask his fierce skills. The music brings together both his calm demeanor and his you'd-better-watch-out pitching.

I want a theme song.

At our B-List Blogfest, the consensus seemed to be that I was smaller than people had anticipated, given my writing. I took this as a huge compliment (thanks, ladies!). Can you help me think of a song that simultaneously represents a tiny little woman who doesn't raise her voice, and a sarcastic yuppie who mocks chain restaurants and writes about her cooter?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Songs is too hard, but I'm thinking of some artists that might HAVE songs that would fill the bill. Alanis Morrissette comes to mind. Ever hear any of Mindy Smith's work? Who sang that song, "I'm a bitch, I'm a lover..." Paula something? Patty Smyth. Bonnie Raitt (her funky bluesy stuff). I'll go look for some more.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm going to have to think about that one!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think someone musical should write a song FOR you!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Shit, Arabella, this is worse than an ear worm. I can't stop thinking about this question! One of my first thoughts was Brick House, but only because I think this is every woman's anthem. I also thought Drops of Jupiter, because I think you're a little bit of an enigma/contradiction (I wouldn't have guessed you could name three Yankees! - except maybe? I don't know...).
Now I'm still thinking... Strong Enough - by Sheryl Crow?
Ack - I'll be back later with more...

2:40 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Yeah, this is a toughie, because I feel like I should be able to spout off 3 or 4 appropriate ones and then when I check the lyrics, they're totally wrong.

One that came to me purely for the cheeze factor that you so love was the terrible ditty from the '70s, "I've Never Been To Me."

How about "Heroine," by Sinead O'Connor? Too cliche?

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two suggestions for you - both have lyrics that talk about a women being many things at the same time, which you definitely are:

1. Ani DiFranco's 32 Flavors (a personal fave of mine)

2. Alana Davis' I'm a Bitch... which actually is a lot nicer than the title sounds.. lyrics go; "I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, I'm a child, I'm a mother, I'm a sinner, I'm a saint...

4:04 PM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

LOL - That is is a tall order that will require some thought! Can't wait to hear what you come up with!

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought of Brick House too! "She's mighty, mighty" and all that.

What about this lyric from Ani DiFranco?:

"cuz i'm a pixie
i'm a paperdoll
i'm a cartoon
i'm a chipper cheerful free for all
and i light up a room
i'm the color me happy girl
miss live and let live
and when they're out for blood
i always give"

10:22 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Ok, there is a LOT of music out there that I need to become familiar with ASAP!

Thank you for all of your suggestions! I look forward to listening.

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see Ani has been mentioned and I have to agree; between eardrops and temperature checkings I've been thinking about this (no really, I have) and I have to say Ani songs are what I think would fit you the most.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Mama Tulip, you are a trooper! I hope you and Julia are both feeling better. I've had many an ear infection, and I know how much they suck. I hope your doctor has given you some pain-relieving ear drops; I've found that they make a huge difference.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home