Monday, June 05, 2006

Five Strong


I have just returned from Savannah, Georgia, where we B-List Bloggers had our Woodstock!!! (Well, it was like Woodstock, but with five people, no concerts, no mud, and a relatively luxurious hotel.)

One of the many greeting cards that I have purchased for Ty in advance of some holiday and then promptly forgotten about long before said holiday actually rolls around says something about falling in love “heart first.” I recently found the greeting card while cleaning out a drawer, and the phrase stuck in my mind.

That’s exactly what happened with my four fellow bloggers. Sure, I knew certain things about them—Wordgirl loves to read! TB loves music! Mignon loves sports! Mrs. Harridan loves to cook!—but I really “fell in love” with the writers, and their souls that came through their work. We got to know each other before we did the “pegging” that humans invariably and unfortunately do when they meet someone, before we became The Jock, The Mom, The Hostess, etc. It was like The Breakfast Club in reverse. Taking this trip really opened my eyes. I think Wordgirl put it best when she called it an "odd mix" and described the feeling of knowing someone well while simultaneously making new discoveries about her. It was an experience that I will treasure. And I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that this experience will forever change the way I think of meeting someone new. I will be far more open to the possibilities beneath the surface.

Okay, now for some fun tidbits:

1. We are a group of hotties. Mignon has thick, lush hair and perfect teeth. Mrs. Harridan is slender and willowy, and her carriage is very regal. TB has gorgeous eyes—simultaneously childlike, doeish, and sexy, framed by soft lashes. Wordgirl is tall, blond, fit, and strong--essentially, she's Smart Literary Barbie. And you know what? My butt is actually kind of nice.

2. I am pretty good at hiding my drunkenness. Those margaritas at the haunted Mexican restaurant WERE (hiccup) lovely, weren’t they!!! TB, is that your twin sister standing next to you? And why is the waiter shouting at me? Mmmm, cider.

3. Comfortable sandals, MY ASS. My feet hurt so much now that the leg of my jeans grazing against my toes is painful.

4. This is the second third time I’m writing this post. The first draft—two hours in the making, with pictures, links, and all—was eaten by a blog-hosting website that shall remain nameless.

5. I have the worst taste in music of any young person, ever. The conversation in the car on the way to Tybee Island went something like this (Million Little Pieces-esque warning: the following conversation is highly embellished, and, in fact, much of it never even happened):

[Arabella, listening to the radio, thinks, “Hey, this is a good song. Could it be that this song is officially socially acceptable?”]

Mignon [fidgeting with the radio]: Hey, let’s put on the B-List CD so we don’t have to listen to this crap!

TB: Good idea! That song sucks! The first song on the CD was contributed by [insert name of blogger here] and is by Weaiaohagha Ieaw Erp!

Mrs. Harridan: Oh, I love Weaiaohagha Ieaw Erp! I just saw a local band do a cover of one of the songs on their first album. The lead singer even looked a bit like Nate McCoolster.

Wordgirl: Nate McCoolster is hot! What was the name of the local band?

Mrs. Harridan: Teaoy Bgai Eaiynn. They mostly sound like they’re inspired by Iaosz.

Wordgirl: I just saw Iaosz in concert. They were really good!

Mrs. Harridan: Arabella, what kind of music do you like?

[Arabella frantically searches through the memory banks, trying to recall songs that her husband and friends think are cool that she actually also likes and has on her iPod, so that, if necessary, she can prove genuine fanship of the artists. Soundtrack to The Muppet Movie? No. Original cast recording of Cabaret? No. The Bee Gees? You’ve got to be kidding me. Joni Mitchell? They’ll think she’s a big hippie. Crosby, Stills & Nash? Hmmm, risky. Is Ben Folds Five still cool, or do people think they've gone "too mainstream"? Hey, isn’t “Say Yes” somewhere on my iPod?]

Arabella: I, uh, I like, um….Elliott Smith….

Mrs. Harridan: Elliott Smith is good!

[Arabella sighs with relief and vows to broaden her musical horizons before next year.]

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've decided that drunkenness is only noticable when everyone else around you is sober, the only caveat being if all the drunk people have cameras.

This quote is perfect:"And I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that this experience will forever change the way I think of meeting someone new. I will be far more open to the possibilities beneath the surface."

And you do have a fine looking butt :o)

6:59 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I don't even have to see your booty to know it is PERFECT!!

Your whole music breakdown had me laughing so loud, my kids asked me what I was laughing about.

So good to at least talk to you.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

At first I was snorting then brazenly cracking up at the music dialogue... was I in this car of which you speak?

You obviously are fine beyond fine, as evidenced by early-morning CVS customers. Are you sure you're not a student?

10:11 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

LOL! I'd feel the same way, music-wise...I'm stuck in a time warp, listening to classic rock, indie bands and mid to late 90s hip hop and everyone else I know likes new, cool bands.

Sounds like an AWESOME visit.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The music thing made me laugh out loud. Yeah, I always think I'm relatively music literate until I Teebs start talking.

I was invited to write music reviews for a publication and then decided I'd be in way over my head....

9:34 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

"TB, is that your twin sister standing next to you? And why is the waiter shouting at me? Mmmm, cider." LOL. It would be a sin NOT to get toasted in Savannah!

I can't wait to meet you guys next time.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Hey, at least you didn't run into the crying ghost in the ladies' room - that would have harshed your buzz something awful!

I LOVE the Bee Gees, and my husband constantly mocks me for it (and then sings along). And I want you to know that my wedding party danced to "Movin' Right Along," from the Muppet Movie.

Poor, dead Elliot Smith. Sigh.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

You know as I read all of your five girl's posts I'm still wondring about how you all gush about each other's physicalities. I mean I know it real - but man I didn't relly know that girls wers so circumspect about appearences.

You're supposed to be in the zen.

But that's cool.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Dude--it's because we're online writers. We want to re-create the experience of meeting each other as tangibly as possible for our readers, and describing physicalities (as well as emotions) is the best way to do that.

And because we're HOTT.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have gone, if only to gawk at the collective hotness! And that music conversation had me choking back giggles so I wouldn't wake my dozing hubz. I feel the same way. I have no idea what's good or hip or anything. And a concert? What the heck is a concert?

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home