Friday, May 19, 2006

Cherrytree

There's an episode of I Love Lucy in which Ricky, Fred, and Ethel challenge Lucy to tell only the truth for a set period of time. According to Ethel, not only does she tell the truth, but she winds up telling all her friends exactly what she thinks of them--whose hat is silly, whose decorating scheme is horrible, etc.

I often wonder what my readers think of me. My comments are almost always of the nice, supportive variety, and for that I am very grateful, although I suspect you readers are generally too kind and polite to say anything rude, even if you think it.

A few of us bloggers will be meeting up soon for our B-List Blogfest. I am looking forward to this tremendously, thinking about it every day, and anticipating days filled with jokes, hilarious conversation, and yummy food. A tiny part of me is worried, though, that the other blogging ladies won't like me.

In the spirit of kissing up honesty, and as a tribute to Lucy, I've decided to share some of my honest, POSITIVE thoughts about the other bloggers I will be meeting soon, along with a link to one of my favorite posts from each of them. Every word is truly how I feel.

Mignon, Thought Concoction:

I imagine that Mignon is like that girl that everybody liked, who could be friends with anybody, who was vaguely self-deprecating and all-around great. She's probably the kind of person you could call up when you're having a bad day, and she'll "get it" right away. Her children are beautiful. Her creative writing is terrific, and I admire the way she makes herself write something every Wednesday. It upsets me that I seldom have the time to read it that day in the way that I want to. I am glad she posted links to her previous Writin' Wednesdays, so that I can print them up and read them all at once. One of most inspiring things about Mignon, though, is the way she balances writing about her children with writing about herself and her thoughts about society. She's obviously a devoted mother, yet she hasn't lost herself. She's managed to keep her own interests and ideas. In doing so, she manages to quell many of my anxieties about having children.


Mrs. Harridan, Mean Girl to the Rescue!

Perhaps it's a little bit unfair to list Mrs. H with the others, because, not only have I actually met her in person, but she's rapidly become one of my best friends. I was very nervous before meeting her, but when we got together, I was instantly reassured. There is a soulfulness to her that came through to me even in our early conversations. She is strikingly beautiful--one of the most beautiful women I know--and dresses well and carries herself well, yet is completely devoid of any trace of haughtiness. She is honest about her own vulnerabilities without being remotely weak. She's had many interesting experiences, yet is perfectly content both to partake of simple pastimes, such as craftmaking, cooking, and gardening, and to discuss them. She says she is mean, but I think that's probably only to bad people. :) She's a good friend to have on your side.

TB, Soul Gardening:

How cute is Teebs? I mean, really! She's like a pixie. A sophisticated, thoughtful pixie with incredible taste in music. Have you heard her voice? It's on her site today. It's adorable and mature at the same time. She is incredible about offering support and kind words. I always feel like she has my back, and she hasn't even met me yet. Even when my posts are boring and/or tedious, TB always has something sweet to say. I get the feeling she's had a difficult life and has worked hard to be the extraordinary lady that she is today. She's probably one of the most diligent bloggers out there--she really posts almost every day, and she never phones it in. Her posts are universally thoughtful and well-crafted. I can't think of anyone who is more caring about her fellow bloggers.


Wordgirl, Half of the Sky:

I think artistry comes through in everything that Wordgirl does. Her photos of hand-painted projects and her mosaic fireplace are breathtaking. Her writing is incredible. She chooses universal themes for her posts, and the way she explores them touches something deep within you. Her whole family is gorgeous; if I were a vitamin manufacturer, I'd want to use a photo of the five of them to sell my product. Did you see the photo of her boys wearing Osh Kosh B-gosh when they were babies? I shared it with my mom, it was so cute. She shares my enjoyment of fun retro stuff, from Easy-Bake Ovens to Wacky Packages, and finds good photos to illustrate her posts. She strikes me as having a very good long-term marriage that is still full of interest; it's an excellent model. I admire the way she lives in the midst of people whose views on a variety of issues differ from her own, and yet there is peace and friendship and respect among them.


Thanks, ladies.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now you made me cry. What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do.
And I totally agree with your assessment of these ladies. Can't wait to see you and them in person!

10:51 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I'm a bit jealous that you get to meet these fantastic bloggers.

I love the posts you chose to highlight here -- Mignon's post about her shorts is one I won't soon forget.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I cried too. That was so incredibly nice, Arabella. Here's my reply:

Arabella was the first blogger I ever read where I immediately thought "I could really be friends with this woman." Her writing shows her to be intelligent, articulate and thoughtful. And witty. And playful. I love it that she's an attorney, but swears like the guys building my fence and that she's gorgeous (take my word for it), but with a very normal, healthy ego. I find it intensely interesting the level with which she maintains her privacy, and I think this makes the quality of her writing more amazing. Half the time when I can't come up with something to say I put up pictures of myself to full the void. Arabella doesn't need this crutch because she's all kinds of fascinating. I can't wait to meet her so she can wow me in person (and show me her bad-ass scar!). Check out her 100 Things About Me in 3 parts. Good stuff. Also Babies Babies Everywhere from 2/10/06 is classic Arabella. xx

1:05 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Awwww.....now I'm crying, too! Thanks, Mignon!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a sweet tribute to some great ladies.

great post! i imagine you guys will have a blast...

5:18 PM  
Blogger Table4Five said...

I'm re-doing my blogroll, and I'm adding Mignon and Wordgirl based on these descriptions. Nice writing, dear.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

Wordgirl rules. We have known that for somtime. But please add a guy to your everytime deal. Us testorone adled individuals need it bad.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Rock said...

Maybe this is not my place - but with Wordgirl you will get everything you want and more so - and all of the rest of you will too. Don't worry - it will be great. Sort of weird at first but unbelievalbly comfortable later .

Just breathe.

4:25 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Rock, that endorsement sounded a little 1-900 number-ish. What exactly are you talking about? (Just joking, of course we all know Wordgirl is the shizit!)

Arabella, I'm bookmarking this post so I can come back and read it whenever I'm down. Or not down. Okay, I'm going to read it every day. Thank you again.

12:23 AM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Fine. Rub my nose in it. I can't go and am DYING!!! You guys are going to have so much fun and become b.f.f.'s without me.

p.s. I knew you would appreciate the steak au poivre comment on my post. I wrote it with you in mind. Tee hee.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

I'm jealous you're all getting to meet, too. I love Wordgirl's blog, and thanks for the links to other great reads. What wonderful descriptions. Have a great time.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

They are indeed all wonderful, as are you.

Go enjoy the B-List and let us know the real dirt, er, fun.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I think we're all weepy over this one. I was so touched by your kind words that it took me a few days to collect myself to respond. Arabella, you are a great friend and a very talented writer, and you have so much discipline and verve. You're really an amazing woman, and I'm SO glad we met and became friends. These words seem insufficient to what I mean, but I know that you understand and agree.

One of MY favorite posts of yours is this one: http://www.trattoriabreve.blogspot.com/2006/02/useful-information-for-those-who-were.html

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home