Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Just Another Dinnertime Conversation

Last night at dinner, as I solemnly ate my inoffensive carbohydrates, I said to Ty, "So...I'm filling out this health care proxy so that you and my parents will know my wishes in the event that something goes wrong during the surgery. Basically, if my mind goes, I don't want to be kept alive by machines."

I was being sober and grown-up and responsible, I told myself. I was protecting my family and making it easier for them in the event that I became unable to make my own decisions. Serious issues called for serious discussion. No sense upsetting my husband.

Ty paused and chewed on his pasta, which he was eating without freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, in a show of solidarity. At last, he responded, "Don't worry, sweetheart. If you go into a coma, I'll bring in a puppy and say, "Arabella, look at the puppy! Look at the puppy! Wake up! The puppy is here to see you! Oh, why didn't I let you get a puppy when I had the chance? Why? Why? Why?" He lapsed into fake uncontrollable sobs.

With that, my sensible carbohydrate meal migrated into my nose as I collapsed into a fit of laughter. This is why people partner up.

18 Comments:

Blogger mamatulip said...

Dave and I have an agreement that if he is in a coma he will show me a sign to let me know that he is going to come out of it. We call it "The Boner of Life".

10:09 AM  
Blogger ptg said...

Good luck with the surgery, Arabella. Before you finalize the conditions for your 'unplugging', consider not worrying about it.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awsome. When I first read about the puppy, I was thinking: "I didn't know Arabella had a dog". Ty rocks the house.

I'll be thinking about you and sending good surgery vibes your way tomorrow.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

More good vibes.
Many of them.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

It's good to have a partner with a good sense of humor. :)

I'm thinking of you!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

What a man. Ty rocks!
Good luck tomorrow, Sweetheart - I'll be thinking of you!
xx

1:42 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Bless his smartass heart. ;)

I think you should get a puppy when you're recovered.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

((Hugs)) Thank you all, my blogfriends!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today's blog is for YOU.

And tell Ty to forget the freakin puppy and show up in the hospital with three pairs of fine Italian shoes for his Hot Mama!

4:40 AM  
Blogger Table4Five said...

Holy crap, Arabella, this post and the last one had the funniest comments EVER! Blog friends rock.

Thanks for stopping by mine and leaving a comment. I'm sending you good wishes and vibes for tomorrow. And maybe some pink sunglasses.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arabella, I just wanted to let you know you're on my mind today. I hope you are feeling okay and recovering. And I hope they gave you some good drugs.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Arabella, me too, what teebs said. I'm thinking very good things and sending them your way...
I hope all is well!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I made it through the surgery! Thanks for all your thoughts, good wishes, prayers, funny comments, etc.

I'm understandably tired and sore, but in very good spirits. I even got to eat cake, followed by ice cream, followed by soup and a sandwich. I'm sure all your blogs will fortify me and speed my recovery.

I'll be back to regular posting and commenting soon.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Hope you're on your way to a fast recovery! Cake, ice cream, soup, and sandwiches are all great healing foods. Take care!!!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Glad to hear you're OK. I was worried! Take your time recovering girl and know that we're all thinking about you.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's to a weekend filled with cake and ice cream. If you get a chance, go read Jess's latest post she had the same surgery this week.
http://fancypants.typepad.com/

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy to hear that everything went well. Hope your recovery isn't too uncomfortable and we all look forward to your return :)

6:41 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I'm so glad to hear that a.) the surgery went well, and b.) you're feeling as well as can be expected, and c.) that you got to eat ice cream AND cake!

Now we'll pray that the results are positive ones and result in the pitter-patter of tiny feet at the Arabella household.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home