Thursday, April 27, 2006

Just DON'T

So, Denise Richards has requested (and been granted) a restraining order against Charlie Sheen, alleging violence, death threats, consorting with prostitutes, and kinky taste. She explains that she fears for herself and her two young daughters. The allegations of violence are news. The consorting with prostitutes is not.

My big question is, um, WHY did she marry Charlie Sheen in the first place? This is a man who has admitted to spending thousands and thousands of dollars on prostitutes that he has had sex with, and has had myriad other issues. He has had several attractive girlfriends with whom he has allegedly not been faithful.

Maybe I'm missing something--I mean, Colin Firth is on my list of the five celebrities that I'd like carte blanche to cheat with if ever I have the opportunity,* for heaven's sake, so I've never exactly been one to lust after the bad boys. "Oooh, but he'll change for ME!" has never been my mantra. I wouldn't fall for, "But, Baby, THIS TIME it's different."

Instead, I prefer a man who says things like, "Would you like to borrow this book? I think you'd really enjoy it." Or, "I see you've had a hard day, so I sent you a link to a really funny website." Or, my personal favorite, "What should we have for dinner? I'll cook tonight."

There are so many nice manly men out there. So many guys who look great in a T-shirt, yet won't, for example, sleep with your best friend while you recover from surgery, or pick up a barfly and then blame you for working and not being around for them. Why do these guys frequently get passed over in favor of jerks, who often aren't even as good-looking?

Ladies, I implore you: please help dry up the market for jerks. Don't even date them, let alone marry them. Demand better. Insist on loyalty, honesty, and politeness. Help elevate the good guy!

*Since you're just going to ask in the comments section anyway, the other four, in random order, are 1.) Jason Lewis; 2.) River Phoenix (I know that he's deceased, but THIS IS A FANTASY ANYWAY); 3.) Montgomery Clift (I know that he's gay AND deceased; see explanation for #2); and Rufus Sewell.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ara-I think you`re right on in the bad boy assesment. Some girls seek out abusive relationships because they`re familiar/?comfortable? with that kind of treatment Another reason is that a girl might not feel"worthy" of a good guy; or that alot of girls view nice guys as, gay or effeminate(too darn cute).Or they get tired of fishing for Mr.Right.
Or, some girls might be more accustomed/familiar to being mistreated. Or the girls parents push the "find a rich guy" venue.
In this case,imho, she was probably looking for celebrity escalated status.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I think a lot of women are under the "Bad Boys Are Meant To Be Tamed" spell. Speaking from experience? They're not. It's not fun. It's not worth it.

P.S. Did you hear the messages Charlie left on Denise's answering machine? Egad. Go to Thesmokinggun.com and look into the archives from yesterday.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Wow, you win for the most obscure (and dead) list!

This gives me one more reason to HATE the shit-vomit sitcom he's on right now.

I've never had a thing for bad boys. Colin Farrel? Stinky. Bobby Brown? Are you even kidding? I pity women that find these men attractive. I can't even imagine what their lives are/were like that draw them to that kind of abuse.

12:31 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Have I ever mentioned that I like bad boy Tommy Lee???? (yes, I know you are tired of that!)

I too wondered why this nitwit of a woman chose to marry this whackadoodle guy. He believes in conspiracy theories too which makes him doubly attractive. If the Heidi Fleiss thing wasn't enough.

4:01 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I wondered the same thing about her attraction to Charlie Sheen. I don't get it, but I probably wouldn't kick him out of bed, either.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you hear about Kevin Costner?

eww.

his wedding to his HOT wife...has practically been my inspiration all along...and turns out he can't seem to keep his hands off his wanker.

friggin pervs man....

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so WITH you on Colin Firth. Bridget Jones, Shakespeare in Love, Love Actually, Pride and Predjudice, Girl with a Pearl Earring. He is THE man--great brains and great hair. I want to crawl down his buttondown shirt.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Nanny said...

I second that Colin Firth statement! Yummm oh and what about Clive Owen, that boy is another dreamy Brit!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I luuuurve Montgomery Clift! Dead, gay, or not!

1:19 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I do love me some Colin Firth. But I also have a Clive Owen problem, and he seems to mostly be a stone killer in all his movies. I guess he's a normal guy in real life, though.

Charlie Sheen has always been gross. Denise Richards is not a rocket scientist (despite playing on in that Bond movie - worst. casting. ever!). So it makes sense to me that he likes pretty, dumb girls and she likes bad boys. It's just sad that there are children involved (oh, on so many levels). And apparently she hasn't learned her lesson; now she's shacked up with Richie Sambora. Ewwwwwwww.

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with some of the other posters, both men and women often look for partners that are bad for them because:

1. That is what they are used to
2. They feel they don't deserve better
3. They feel they can fix them.
4. They wish the were bad and exciting but aren't.

So it really is about the person doing the dating fixing themsevles and getting confidence (I speak for experience.. still trying to break the habits of dating women who aren't right for me)

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home