Friday, April 21, 2006

Meta for a Friday

In Tuesday's post, I had an expression that I thought was relatively clever:

"in the name of all that is decent"

Now, clearly, I'm not the first person ever to use this expression.

Which got me thinking: when did I first hear it?

I did a little searching through the memory bank.* Was it from Shakespeare? Milton? David Sedaris? Dooce?

No.

Do you want to know where I first heard it?

In the dialogue of the movie Teen Wolf, which, many years ago, I watched repeatedly on VHS.

There's a hot blond cheerleader chick that the Michael J. Fox character is smitten with. She has the lead in the school play, as a Civil-War-era Southern belle. She has a line that goes something like this:
You can [something my something], you can ravish my body. But, I beg you, with all that is decent and holy: don't destroy my plantation!
(Emphasis added.)

So, there you have it. The next time you read something even vaguely highfalootin', just think: it may have originated in the author's mind with a slutty girl in a teen movie.

*Incidentally, I first heard the expression "memory bank" in reference to that in which VICI the robot from the television show Small Wonder registered data.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I get a lot of my colloquialisms from TV and movies, although for the most part I couldn't tell you which ones came from where.

But all my swearing came from my great-uncle Ray who was an old school Irish Catholic. No one swears like they do. Some of my favorites:

Jesus Christ in a sidecar

Jesus, Mary and Joseph

Christ in a bathtub

In the name of the baby Jesus

Holy Mary and the saints

I still use most of them and I'm not even Catholic. They're just so much fun to say.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JACKPOT!

Someone who acknowledges "Its a Small Wonder" I was telling someone about that show and they didnt believe that something so stupid could have been on air.

I feel soo vindicated.

10:42 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

LMAO! Teen Wolf! That's hilarious.

2:24 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Loved Teen Wolf. Thanks for the memories. Its good to know that all my old t.v. and movie watching has accounted for something.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do that all the time. I think I've come up with something, only to find out that I haven't.

Teen Wolf rocked.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Table4Five said...

That VICI the robot girl freaked me the heck out.

I say "Christ on a Cracker" all the time, and am sure I heard it somewhere before.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home