Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sweet Fulfillment

Remember how, last week, I was on a restricted diet prior to my surgery? On Monday, I could only eat carbohydrates. No dairy.

So, naturally, on this gorgeous, sunny day, the ice cream man decided to park himself right smack on my block, the canned jingle taunting my ears like those sirens in The Odyssey.

"ICE CREAM! ICE CREAM!" shouted happy, adorable children, no doubt conceived easily and quickly through normal sexual intercourse not involving copayments and sharp instruments.

Instead of making lemonade and procuring for myself a simple ice pop, I went home and fumed.

On Saturday, three days after my surgery, I ventured out for my first tentative walk, and ran right into an ice cream vendor.

The sensible adults in line with us were buying bottled water. Silly adults. I was debating: ice cream sandwich or Toasted Almond bar? I made my decision, and Ty bought me the biggest, fattest ice cream sandwich I've ever seen, let alone eaten. I couldn't even finish it. We sat on a bench, sharing the sandwich, while, all around us, people jogged and chugged their water.

5 Comments:

Blogger mamatulip said...

Ice cream sandwiches are my weakness. I looove them. I hope you enjoyed yours!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I am convinced that people who buy bottled water at ice cream stands/coffee shops/candy stores are masochists and should be pittied. So many things this week are reminding me that life is short. WAY too short to pass up the ice cream truck.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Great slice of life post. :) Our neighborhood gets TWO visits from the ice cream man every day. And the songs!!!! How they haunt my dreams. Turkey in the Straw...Do Your Ears Hang Low...and too many other horrid earworms to name.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Now I'm thinking about the Mr. Softee truck that wends its way through my neighborhood after dinner ... I love those things, but the music does haunt your dreams.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I've got to have an ice cream sandwich, even if the chocolate crackers do leave black sludge between my front teeth....

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home