Thursday, June 14, 2007

A ton of bricks

While the title of this post could easily describe the condition of my sons' diapers when they've consumed large quantities of soy formula (quite binding, that stuff is), I'm actually referring to how the lack of sleep is starting to affect me, now, at 15 weeks postpartum.

I was absolutely, positively, triple-latte-vintage-Katie-Couric-without-the-blinding-chompers chipper for the first month. Month two, even--no problem. Month three, there was barely a slowdown.

Then, all of a sudden, the fourth month began.

Now a few weeks into it, I have fallen asleep while 1) nursing, 2) holding bottles in my sons' mouths (yes, both of them at the same time), 3) rearranging clothing in drawers, 4) cleaning out my purse, which is generally an activity as comprehensive and fascinating as an archaeological dig, and 5) reading Us Weekly. Anyone who knows me in person will attest that that last one is particularly strange. I live for Us Weekly. I guess the cumulative lack of sleep has finally caught up with me.

By necessity, we now have to separate the boys at night. They are big and strong enough that they have begun to wake each other up, usually by smacking each other around. I expected them to start smacking each other around eventually, but I never thought it would happen this early. They're probably hoping to use that old but-most-of-my-motions-are-involuntary! standby as an excuse. Last night was the first night they slept in separate cribs. Hopefully, as they adjust, they'll benefit from not having their sleep interrupted by tiny little flailing fists, and they'll sleep for longer stretches, and then Mommy will be able to stay awake long enough to finish the Enquirer's Annual Celebrity Cellulite Issue.

6 Comments:

Blogger geenalyn said...

Yep month 4 is when i started to get really tired too (of course it was also their 4 month checkup where i found out i was unexpectedly pregnant again lol).

7:42 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I fell asleep so many times while I was nursing Oliver...I'd wake up and we'd both be covered in breastmilk. LOL.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

^*Snort* That's a lovely mental image Mama T.

You poor girl. Here's hoping they sleep through the night, as well as you. ((HUG))

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started to hit the wall at four months too. I didn't get sleepy, instead I lost the ability to sleep because my sleep had been disrupted so often.

4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was doing okay until Jeff went out of town and it was all me all the time. Now, I can't imagine it getting much worse.

Hang in there. They will be sleeping longer and longer soon and if you are doing man to man defense, try to get the kid who sleeps longer stretches ;o)

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as the only guy so far commenting, I feel it's my duty to empathize with the deprivations that hubby is suffering through now that sleep deprivation is an issue. "Course, that's just me.

Seriously, I hope you and he do both get some sleep. And whatever else you need!

P.S. I'm back!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home