Sunday, April 29, 2007

For TB

My good friend Tammie has just given birth to a beautiful baby boy! If you haven't already, please head over to Soul Gardening to congratulate her. This post is in her honor.

The Best Ass-Vice I Got Before Having Kids:

1. "Don't hold babies too much, or you'll spoil them." Holding my babies is the best part of my day! I'd like to think it's the best part of theirs, too. Babies need to be held.

2. "If you keep using bottles, your babies will stop taking the breast." Said to me during Week 2. Two months and counting--they're still taking the breast. Apparently a handful of babies, if given bottles while learning to nurse, will refuse the breast. The rest of us get to pump milk, get some sleep, or just give our nipples a break.

3. "Enjoy the end of the pregnancy, because it's easier to take care of babies when they're inside than when they're outside." I was miserable at the end of my pregnancy. I was elated after delivery. Taking care of newborns isn't easy, but it's far from the horror that many people make it out to be. I think it's much, much better than being extremely pregnant.

The Best Advice I Got Before Having Kids:

1. "Swaddle your babies before putting them to sleep." It not only helps keep them on their backs, but it also keeps them from scratching themselves, and it helps them sleep longer, because they don't startle themselves and wake themselves up.

2. "Get a steam sterilizer." Makes life much, much easier than pots of boiling water.

3. "C-sections aren't as bad as they're made out to be." SO true. I'm sorry I wasted so much time worrying about one. Childbirth of any kind is hard; C-sections are no exception, but they're hardly a horror. And there are benefits to them: no episiotomies, no hemorrhoids, etc.

Much thanks to Cool Mom Picks, Her Bad Mother, and Mothergoosemouse for organizing this virtual shower, and congratulations also to the ladies at Mom-101 and A Mommy Story on their babies!

4 Comments:

Blogger mamatulip said...

It's refreshing to hear someone say that a C-section isn't a horror show. It's one of the things I was most concerned about when pregnant with Oliver...and yet I knew that as long as he arrived safe and sound, it didn't matter. I was still really scared, though, and relieved when I didn't end up needing one.

Good advice, Arabella!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Couldn't agree with you more if you paid me.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Thank you so much. And so with you on the boiling water. In fact they have those microwave steam bags now so it's like 30 seconds. My kind of gadget!

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the advice and the ass-vice. Truly though, I bow to you on your post regarding breastfeeding. It is the most sensible thing I've heard thus far among a LOT of advice on the subject.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home