Sunday, April 22, 2007

Shakespeare and Sugar

5:46 am. I'm exhausted. My computer, however, is wide awake, having loudly and obnoxiously chimed to announce the installation of a new version of SpamKiller. It also has offered me some variation on "java," but not the kind I really need right now.

We're baptizing the boys today. I've been hovering over them all night to make sure they're still breathing, because didn't Shakespeare say something about irony being a cruel bitch? Or is that just what happens when a pretentious former English major gets too little sleep?

Now Sage is crying. Stupid loud computer! It's going to be another one-handed post. Oh well. At least he's temporarily entertained by the sight of me in my reading glasses.

I have a bit of public-appearance anxiety about today. Ty and I were late to the Baptism meeting and all the other people had to move their chairs to expand their circle, and then I was really too tired to participate in any meaningful way.

I logged on to post this after feeding the babies and having put them back down to sleep. I had ambitious ideas; I was going to write about religion and my faith and how I never write about it and how it ties into other areas of my life and why it's important to me and how I reconcile it with things about myself that are seemingly inconsistent and Earth Day and spring and flowers and Baptismal waters and renewal, but now both babies are crying and Sage is puking all over my wishfully MILFy red nursing nightgown, so I'm going to have to settle for pretending that this post is a meaningful commentary on balancing one's own wants and needs and creativity with meeting the needs of one's children.

It looks like I'm up for good this morning. But screw the cereal I was going to eat for breakfast; I'm having the stale Entenmann's chocolate chip cookies.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Just popping in for a sec to say best wishes on the baptism!

I hope you get a chance to rest at some point today (I assume there will be a swarm of family later!), and please send pics of them in their outfits!

This is just so wonderful. :)

P.S. Sorry for deleting the first one. I made an egregious typo and couldn't stand to leave it there.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I can't believe you had Entenmann's around long enough to even GET stale. Congrats on that, at the very least.

I'm sorry for US that you can't get free long enough to post the whole shebang, because I know it would have been wonderful. Damn babies.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you see, the post ended up being JUST that commentary. I get it. AND I got a mental picture of the nightgown and wanted you to know it IS teh sexy.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

My Mom used to have a little mirror just for the purpose of making sure my brothers were breathing at night. :)

I hope the baptism went well!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Congrats on the baptism! And the whole "balancing the kid's needs with mine" is a toughie. Sounds like you're doing well to me!

Here's to a life of regular sleep someday.

2:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope the baptism was lovely and meaningful.

And red nursing nightgown? Really? I expect I'll be in paint stained sweats and Tshirts for the next six months at least ;o)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Congratulations on the birth (I have been away far, far too long!!!) and baptism of the wee little boys! I'm so happy for you.

I echo Teeb's sentiment about the red nightie! :-)

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home