Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Thank God, and How Awful

Last night, while intermittently reading about two-month-olds and the things they do, I was noticing how much fuller Sage's cheeks look and how much smoother Thyme's skin is. They've recently started sleeping during the night for four-or-five-hour stretches at a time. It occurred to me that, while they still bob their heads up and down while being held against my shoulder, looking for the breast, they no longer root around like baby birds while simply sitting in their baby seats. They're smiling up a storm, and they're almost ready for the Size 1-2 box of diapers that my mom bought for them at Costco.


My reaction, of course, was, Thank God, and How Awful.

We have lots of fun stuff to look forward to--babbling and crawling and walking. In the coming weeks, they will get increasingly smiley and interactive. But they will never again be newborns. Soon, the fontanels in the backs of their heads will begin to close. They will never again need their umbilical cord stump cleaned. They no longer fit into their first stretchies, and have long outgrown the hats they wore when we brought them home from the hospital.


So help me, this is hard. And wonderful. And unbelievable.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean! It is so bittersweet when they grow out of that first size of clothes, isn't it? These next few months will amaze you as they start to interact more with the world around them! And awww, weeny baby feets!

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the moment that I realized my oldest didn't look the same as he had the week before. That's when I knew how quickly that whole parade was going by. As you said...sad and wonderful.

8:59 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

We were outside yesterday afternoon, me and the kids. Julia was riding her bike in her new glasses and she turned and looked at me over her shoulder and I swear to god she looked like she was about twelve. I felt myself age instantly about forty years.

So I turned my attention to my baby, my little guy, and noticed that he was almost as tall as the garbage can and that the shorts he was wearing looked way too small on him.

After that I decided to pick at my nails instead. At least THEY don't look too old.

It's bittersweet, this growing up business, eh?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Are your boys identical or fraternal twins?

Do you think that maybe, just maybe, if we're really good blog readers, you might post a photo of Sage and one of Thyme? Pretty, pretty please! : )

7:59 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Great question V-Grrrl!

I'm dying to know what your two beautiful boys look like. I remember my brothers as newborns. Part of me really misses it. Part of me is really happy to see the healthy and mature little men that they've grown into. Cherish all these moments, and know, it only gets better!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

They're fraternal, but they look a lot alike. Regular blogreaders (whom I consider to be friends), send me an email regarding pics. :)

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy. What a difference eight weeks makes. I know just what you mean though. Myles' cord is about to fall off and it makes me inexplicably sad.

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home