Saturday, September 23, 2006

Week 12 Update

The first trimester is over!!!!!!!!!

It has been four days since I last puked. I'm sorry I didn't post sooner--I didn't want to jinx it, and, anyway, I was busy eating myself out of house and home to make up for lost time. FOUR. I still can't believe it. Interestingly enough, it has also been about four days since I started showing. I literally went over and looked in the mirror at some point during the day and thought, "Ok, I'm showing now." It was that quick. Ty confirmed this observation, and my pants agreed. I am happy to exchange belly protrusion for nausea. HAPPY. Even though it meant that today I had to surreptitiously unbutton and unzip my jeans in a theater full of skinny, gratification-delaying hipsters who had finally gotten around to seeing Little Miss Sunshine, fearing all the while that some usher with a flashlight would stumble upon my disheveled midsection.

Unfortunately, my pregnant belly is entirely invisible to every single person who rides the subway. On Friday, I tried to grip the support pole while balancing a GapMaternity bag in one hand and a Motherhood Maternity bag in the other, my navel peering out from my non-maternity t-shirt. Now, I recognize that this is a sensitive issue for subway riders--one doesn't want to offer one's seat to someone who's not pregnant, lest she get insulted--but is it strictly necessary for people to sit with their legs wide open enough that they take up three seats when someone is standing there and obviously struggling with packages, pregnant or not? Note to such individuals: in the future, if you're going to be so selfish, you may not want to leave THAT part of your body quite so vulnerable to my wrath.

If you haven't already, please head over and congratulate my friend Mrs. Harridan on her own much-anticipated good news!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for being able to eat again! Will you be taking photos of your belly as it grows?

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! So happy you've hit the home stretch with the nausea.

I'm having the same problem with most of my pants too, but it's hitting me earlier I guess because I never threw up like you did. Also you are super tiny so of course a little belly is going to look bigger on you.

Hooray for the second trimester!

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY for not puking in four days and DOUBLE YAY for getting through the first trimester!! When I was knocked up with Oliver, the second trimester is when I got a blissful burst of energy that took me through until about week 39. I hope you get that burst, too. :)

7:29 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Ahhhh - I'm breathing a sigh of relief for you and your poor esophagus. I forget, do you know or are you going to find out what brand of babies you're getting? There are so many theories about what causes the more intense sickness in a pregnancy: boys because a woman's system rebels against the male hormones, girls because the ADDED female hormones just increase the nausea inherent in a pregnancy, yadda yadda yadda.

I love it that you're my own personal reference book for all things twin, by the way. xx

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope...I had three boys. I felt the nausea, but I never puked, so you can toss that theory about males inducing pukedom. Let the eating begin!!!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Bout time!! Congrats on the mile-marker. Now go celebrate with a big bowl of whatever you HAVENT been able to eat lately. ;)

5:05 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Thank god the era of puking is over (with any luck). I always thought it extremely unfair that such a foodie as you had to subsist on ginger ale and crackers for so long.

Let me know if you want the info about those belly bands on Ebay - they really work!

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad you can finally enjoy it.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home