Tuesday, March 21, 2006

We Interrupt Our Regularly-Scheduled Vacation Photos to Bring You Some Pathos

Last Sunday, Ty and I were sitting side-by-side in a church pew. Church is usually poignant for the trying-hard-to-get-pregnant set, because it contains the maximum number of adorable babies and children per square inch, not to mention loving families. Some of the children even clutch stuffed bears and bunnies. Most of them sit near us and smile their gummy, minimally-toothed smiles at us from over their parents' shoulders.

The Mass had concluded. It had been a beautiful Mass, and we were feeling very much at peace. Announcements were being read.

"Please come and join our New Parents group. All parents of babies and young children are welcome to attend. There will be socializing and support, and an opportunity to get to know the other families in our parish with young children. Refreshments will be served."

Ty and I glanced at each other and, yes, I'll admit it, rolled our eyes.

Then he leaned over and whispered to me:

"And everybody who attends gets a free box of kittens!"

Our hair may turn gray, our teeth may yellow, and our skin may hang loose, but laughter is FOREVER.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A man with a sense of humor. Love that.

E and I waited 13 years to have children. We've always been church goers. Let me tell you this, the church caters to families with children and ignores families without them as well as singletons. It's so wrong. Families with children don't need the social/support groups nearly as much as working couples or single people who have a harder time meeting people.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

Thank God for having someone that makes you laugh. It's the only thing that keeps me from killing Hoop. :)

10:06 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

That's awesome.

And I think V-grrrl is right - I think families with kids are catered to. That's how it was in my home parish growing up, perhaps because we were providing revenue through sending the kids to Catholic school.

But then, I'm bitter. I should probably go to Mass - feeling at peace is sounding pretty attractive right now.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Ty.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

A free box of kittens! LOL

Ty sounds like a great guy. :)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

V-Grrrl and Mrs. Harridan--totally agree there's too little emphasis on singles and childless couples. Some infertility support groups would be nice, too.

Yeah, Ty rocks. And he made me loin of pork last night for dinner!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Right there with ya' my friend. OH SO there.

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home