Friday, March 03, 2006

Footloose

I might have gotten a little bit carried away with the shoe-shopping:

L to R: Pair 1, Pair 2, Pair 3, and Pair 4.

I've pretty much decided to keep only Pairs 1 and 2, which I think strike a decent balance between comfort and style. I've been wearing them around the apartment with thick socks (a tip my mother's friend taught me with my wedding shoes) to stretch them ever so slightly before I wear them on my trip.

Pairs 3 and 4 are the same style, and were supposed to be the same color. They are different sizes. Unfortunately, Pair 3 came packed with The Stick of Death, which is supposed to help shoes retain their shape, but, in my opinion, contorts the heel in such an unnatural way that the shoes feel like they are performing the ankle equivalent of that specialized neck pinch that's supposed to make a person pass out immediately. Pair 4 was blessedly free of The Stick of Death, but was uncomfortable and the wrong size and the wrong color anyway.

Pair 2 also came with The Stick of Death. I have spent the past several days squishing the heels of Pair 2 under my own heels while wearing them at home to try to soften the stiff leather and remold the shoes a little.

Pairs 2, 3, and 4 were all manufactured by companies who claim to place an emphasis on comfort. Pairs 2, 3, and 4 were the most expensive shoes.

Pair 1 is the most comfortable.

I also packed a fancy pair of heels that I've had for several years and that usually feel fine.

What have we learned from all this?

If you're going to be uncomfortable in clodhoppers anyway, just save yourself the trouble and buy attractive, cheapish shoes in a design that you really like.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love pair number 2, though because I have big feet, I tend not to wear bright colors on them. But I love red. Love this style.

Death to the stick of death! May it crunch and shatter UNDER our heels and neither torture us or our shoes another day.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I like pair #2 best, as well. Red is your color, baby! I think they'd look OK on big feet, too (like mine), since the vamp is so low. You'll see a bit of sock between the jeans and the shoe, and it breaks up the expanse of foot.

Or am I overthinking it?

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You really know a lot about shoes. I'll be honest, I've never really put that much thought into it. I have much to learn from you.

But in my humble and uninformed opinion, I like #2. They look the most fun.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

They're all cute. Why choose? I'm not a big shoe person. I think I own all of 5, unless flip flops don't count.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

#2 is my favorite, too, ladies!

Welcome, Shell!

I'm a tad bit concerned about pair #2 looking like clown shoes; should I be? I'll most likely wear them with black pants or with dark denim capri pants. I was going to try to go sockless, but I'm worried about blisters. Mrs. H (and everyone else), what kind of socks do you visualize?

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you match the socks to your pants or wear a solid accessorizing color. You could totally wear those shoes with black, brown, and dark khacki. You don't run a danger of looking clownish unless you wear striped or polka-dotted socks or garish colors.

But again, I am an amateur in this arena, if I have my way in Florida, I will never wear socks again. (wow that sounded very Scarlet O'Hara)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I LOVE the colors! But I don't think I've found a pair of actual comfy shoes yet.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I love the rounded toes. My monkey fingers/toes cry out in vindication for this seasons rounded look.

What is this blasphemy you are spouting about returning a couple of pairs?

I love them all.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home