Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Project Body and Soul

I am slowly getting past the initial shock of hearing my doctors advise surgery for my fertility issues. I am still coping with feeling unsexy, infertile, empty--basically, less of a woman. While I've gotten comfortable with having my husband see me in my pajamas for about 16 hours a day, I don't relish that which comes after surgery. Will I need help changing dressings? Will I need help getting to the bathroom? This is not the baggage that a "hot young wife" is supposed to come with.

I have been exercising very vigorously for the past 10 days or so. It has been helping immensely. I think I may add yoga to the mix. I haven't done it in a while, but it always made me feel good.

I've decided that, right now, I will focus on getting my body as strong and as healthy as I possibly can before the surgery. I will keep exercising daily. Phone ringing? Tough shit. Lots of work to do? It can wait. Internet connection down? Time for a soothing cup of tea. Someone ringing my doorbell instead of waiting patiently while the tenant he really wants to reach comes and signs for her package? Kiss my increasingly-firm ass, buddy.

My husband and I are going to California next week for a much-needed vacation. We haven't crammed it full of activities so that we'll have time to walk on the beach and get leisurely lunches and sleep in--basically, all the things that one most looks forward to doing on vacation. I have already scheduled one deep-tissue massage and may book another one.

If I can't take on as much work during this time, and therefore can't make as much money, I'll just have to live with that. My health comes first right now. My husband is extremely supportive and understanding. But, so help me, I will make the time to rub my feet with rich cream each night, and head off to California with beautifully manicured nails. I will smell good. I will dress well. I will eat well--fresh fruits, whole grains, fresh fish--good, nourishing food. Lots of tea.

I will also rekindle my funny/sarcastic writing starting with tomorrow's post. TWO serious posts in a row doesn't do all that much for my psyche.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Arabella. I wish I had your motivation to take such good care of your body and spirit. You deserve it.
Besides, think how hot you are going to look in your bikini. California girls got nothing on you.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Yes, take good care of yourself and have fun on the vacation.

Damn, I never took that kind of care of myself...oh, and it shows!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I agree. Good for you, Arabella. You're doing a fantsatic job of taking care of yourself. One of these days, you're going to be somebody's mommy, and then all of this excellent self-care will be leveraged enormously. Have a fantabulous vacation - you totally deserve it.

"Kiss my increasingly-firm ass, buddy" is going to become my mantra to the universe. Thank you for that.

Your funny/sarcastic writing is awesome. But the serious stuff is real, and it's good, and you can do it for as long as you need to. We got your back.

2:16 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

Good for you, girl. Take your abs and your buns of steel to Cali and soak it up. You deserve it.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to say "Kiss my increasingly broad ass!" WAH!

And hey, remember my mantra, "It's my blog and I'll whine if I want to." Sometimes its better to be real than to be funny.

9:48 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

The best kind of vacations are those where you actually get to relax. Rushing from one place to another doesn't do it for me.

Have a good time, and be sure to mix a little wine & chocolate into all that healthy eating!

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home