Friday, February 17, 2006

100 Things, Part I

Yeah, I'm doing this, too.

1. I write all day in my head. Mostly just random phrases.

2. I am nervous about what pregnancy will do to my body.

3. I am scared that having a baby will somehow make me less special in the eyes of my parents.

4. I went to law school, in part, because I am competitive, and my then-boyfriend was going.

5. I didn't think law school was so terrible. I had fun during those years.

6. I worked harder in high school than I did in law school.

7. I think the institution of high school, in its current form, is absurd.

8. I constantly get paper cuts.

9. I am a little bit superstitious.

10. I feel that I have more in common with men who are older than me than men who are my own age.

11. I only use half the suggested amount of laundry detergent in the wash.

12. I don't think there are nearly enough penises in mainstream theatrical releases, given the number of breasts.

13. I'm pretty good at giving manicures, but only to myself.

14. I hate walking into empty stores, because I feel obligated to talk to the salesperson, and, if I don't buy anything, I feel bad.

15. I'm fussy about what kinds of pens I like to use.

16. Math interests me a lot more now than it did when I was studying it in school.

17. To me, living in New York City feels a little bit like being on vacation every day.

18. I absolutely love small dogs, and I hate that they're a fashion statement for starlets these days.

19. I typically root for the underdog.

20. Before tackling a stressful project, clearing off my desk makes me feel better.

21. I had a nose job. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

22. I have never lived with a boyfriend. Not for moral reasons, but because I loved briefly living alone, and I was unwilling to rearrange my life to be with anyone who was making anything less than a total commitment to me.

23. I love sitting on the floor.

24. I don't wash my hair every day. It looks better on the days that I don't.

25. I no longer own a hairbrush. I detangle my long, curly hair in the shower each morning with a comb, and massage my scalp with my fingertips. This has virtually eliminated my split ends.

26. I'm a little bit bossy.

27. I would rather have a $500 restaurant meal than a $500 pair of shoes.

28. I have a very non-addictive personality and don't really understand the addictive process. I consider myself very lucky.

29. I was very, very bad at breaking up with boyfriends.

30. I'm a city person.

31. I have never owned the perfect handbag.

32. I think fashion's going through a really bad phase right now.

33. I find it virtually impossible to get a really good cup of tea away from home, unless I'm in England.

34. I think that b.o. smells like a bad version of frying hamburgers.

35. Houseplants scare me a little bit, because I'm worried that I will kill them.

36. I'm scrupulous about wearing sunblock.

37. I'm considering the purchase of a reusable pair of earplugs to carry around with me and wear on the subway.

38. I resent that greeting cards have gotten so expensive.

39. I still buy VHS tapes.

40. In general, I try to support local businesses. A few of them have been nasty to me, so I go to their big chain-store competitors for spite.

41. I hate being offered the credit card, frequent buyer program, membership card, etc. when I'm paying for my purchases at checkout.

42. I sometimes make charitable contributions by mail and do not provide my phone number to eliminate the possibility that I will be called at home.

43. I need a lot of sleep.

44. I love old sitcoms.

45. I'm hard-core into kitsch. I will watch entire movies, and spend hours on websites, just for the kitsch value.

46. I like flying on airplanes.

47. I spend most of my time at home wearing pajamas.

48. I have bought more gimmicky exercise equipment than I care to admit.

49. People are shocked when I curse out loud, because they think it seems very out of character for me.

50. I love baking when it's snowy out.

50 more to follow next week. Have a good weekend, everybody!

13 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

Great list!

10. Or girl, me too!
12. LMAO. They need Penis Monologues. *Daydreams* Weeeell, maybe not.
28. Yeah yeah, keep rubbing it in.
32. I agree! I'm SO done with the pea green and pink. Bleh.

I can't wait for the other 50. Have a great weekend.

11:21 AM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

3.Yeah, they'll completely ignore you and pay tons of attention to your kid. That's ok, though, since you'll be so entraced with the kid yourself that you won't notice.
4.You and Reese Witherspoon!
10.Me too. Hubby is 15 years older than me.
11.Me too!
15.Probably because of #12, I glanced at this one and saw "penis" instead of "pens." Gives it a whole new context, don't you think?
29.Yeah, I'd just stop taking their calls until they got the hint. Kind of mean, but that's what I did.
41.I agree totally-it's like telemarketers in person!
44.With you there too.I'll take Bewitched over Survivor XXIV any day!
50.So do you want that English Muffin Bread receipe?

12:08 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

15. I thought the word was penis when I first read it. Totally changed the whole sentence.

32. Totally agree. Fashion is in a dark place. Of course, it makes for great reading at Go Fug Yourself.

34. BO smells like frying onions to me. I don't like fried onions for that very reason.

I want to see a picture of you with this great sounding hair!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I do so love reading these, and yours is extra good since I know you in "real life" now.

#21 shocks me! But it explains your cute little button nose. I never in a million years would've guessed.

I'm with you on the hair washing. After 3 days, though, I start to get a crawly-feeling scalp, so I do every other day or every 2 days.

I *thought* you might be houseplant-phobic. Have you killed the avocado yet? I won't mind if you do. ;)

GG: I think I want that recipe, too! I love me some English muffins.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hair washing - yes. I only wash about 2-3 times a week. I always assumed it was a curly hair thing.

I am such a city person and I'm taking advantage of it as much as I can now because I know when we move there will be no city to be had, but there will be an ocean.

And I am also a big fan of the underdog.

Just two of the many things that struck me as similarities between us :o) Thanks for sharing; I'm looking forward to the second half. Have a great weekend!

2:03 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

#1 -- Me too!

#12 -- You are so right about this one.

#27 -- Me too!

#32 -- Me too!

#35 -- I am notorious for killing plants. I have Black Thumbs of Death.

#38 -- Me too!

#47 -- Me too!

3:05 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

The recipe has been posted!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Yay! Thank you, GG!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

Not only do I wash my hair everyday... But I shave everyday too. I have for the last nine years. It takes me 5 minutes flat from legs, to armpits, to groin.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Tink - I shave everyday as well. I cannot sleep with those thorns poking into me...

Arabella - #2 - BE AFRAID, be very afraid.

#12 - Tsk, tsk penis in move = NC1 or X ratings.

#15 - YES! I will buy my own and take them to work.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Okay, I said "me too" to about half of these. Especially 2, 3, 12, 18, 19, and 24.

Oh, and 43 and 44. Also, kitsch is good. Love the kitsch.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I could also say "me too" about a gazillion times!

Love it!

4:51 AM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

I've been reading your installments of "100 Things" and I won't even bore you with all the similarities. As the poster before me said..."Me, too" x a gazillion.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home