Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy St. Valentine's Day!

But for the sweetness of my parents and now my husband, V-Day isn't really one of my favorites.

I've been dumped twice right before Valentine's Day. TWICE. Therefore, any Valentine's Day that I'm not subjected to cruel heartbreak is a good Valentine's Day.

While engaged in some of The Snarkiest Googling You Ever Did See, I came across this.

For those of you not interested in clicking on the link (although you really should), it is a fansite for the relationship between Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey. A recently-added nod to their breakup indicates that the site will not go away just because their marriage did.

In contrast...

Last night, Ty and I watched Wingspan, the documentary about Paul and Linda McCartney and Wings. Much of it focused on their marriage. Linda addressed criticism of her music, and basically her presence in the band, by saying, "I'm not here because I'm the greatest keyboard player. I'm here because we love each other."

I was struck by her confidence and their feelings for each other. Can you imagine joining a band with a former Beatle when you yourself are not a professional musician? Can you imagine devoting so much of your life to something that your husband is really, really famous for, and you are not? Perhaps I'm a tad more competitive than the norm, but this would be very difficult for me. Yet, they did it. Together. Quite successfully, I might add. GOOD FOR THEM.

Ty and I have been married just over two and a half years. In that time, we've coped with job changes, the death of a beloved pet, health issues, family issues, and difficulty conceiving, just to name a few items. And I've never been more in love with him than I am right now. We don't have a reality show (thankfully); we don't have a band. We have lots of olives and fresh pasta and a comfortable couch, and a really, really good marriage, and for that I am very grateful.

Happy St. Valentine's Day, Everyone! It's not just for lovers--enjoy it with your kids and your pets and your parents and your friends!

(Or, if you'd rather not, check out that Nick and Jessica link!)

9 Comments:

Blogger Tink said...

((You-n-TY)) Happy Vday girl! BTW: That site is sad. Sad in a, "I can't believe people are that wrapped up in a dead relationship involving people they've never personally met" kind of way.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy V-Day to you and Ty. I love the way you describe your relationship. Especially the part about the olives.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I'm with Tink... that shit was weirder than Olympic curling.

Can you imagine what a reality show would do to your life?

Happy Valentine's Day, beautiful. Enjoy each other!

12:35 PM  
Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

If you think the Jessica/Nick website is sad, you really need to be introduced to the Harry Potter "shippers." THOSE people really need to get a life!

12:50 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I have always admired and respected Linda and Paul's relationship a great deal; what they shared together was just exquisite.

Happy V-day to you & Ty...

1:57 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Not to drag down Linda and Paul but she had a gabillion dollars so didn't have to "do" anything. I think they really did have a soul-to-soul thing going on.

You and Ty sound adorable. And I love olives.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Rock said...

Yay for Paul and Linda - guilty pleasure: Wings - Londontown, Just a Little Luck - oops, off on a rock rant.

They really did have it going on - there bond was amazing - of course he's now off with pogo-girl.

I might have to blog on the Paul/Linda thing - there is a great picture when they first met which says a thousand words.

At last a VD post that doesn't trash the day - I frankly spend the whole week.

Then its back to being a dog.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

May every day be full of olives and fresh pasta and love!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

I love happy endings....

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home