Thursday, February 23, 2006

LIOCBPOTFOSDASATR

One of my favorite indoor sports (and one of my favorite sports, in general), after Dueling Telephone Martyrs, is Listening in on Conversations Between People on their First or Second Date and Speculating about their Relationship.

Last night, C.S. and I treated ourselves to a nice dinner out at a tiny local restaurant. The tables there are very close together and provide the ideal environment in which to indulge in LIOCBPOTFOSDASATR.

A man and a woman were seated within inches of us. I could only observe the man's face; C.S. could only observe the woman's face.

"Third date," I whispered to C.S., clandestinely. "I bet it's third."

"Second," she replied.

"Do you think they're going to have sex tonight?" I wondered.

"I think they already have."

She reasoned that there was a guarded familiarity about them. They were still asking and answering getting-to-know-you questions, but with something of a comfortable knowingness.

Neither of us had imbibed enough wine from our half-bottle to ask them, so I guess we'll never know for sure.

I haven't been in that situation, but I think it would be really difficult to have dinner in public with someone you don't know all that well but who has seen your orgasm face (hopefully your real one) and heard your moans. Why not just get take-in and eat it in bed, forevermore thereafter? How do you play coy after that? Am I a prude? I don't understand. Does it make it better--the anticipation of what will almost certainly follow afterwards, again? Who has the upper hand? What if the sex is good and the relationship isn't? Will it affect your judgment in pursuing things? So many questions.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Gradual Gardener said...

Sounds like some good questions for "Ask Ditsy".

Will we be playing this game at the B-List Blog Chicks convention? With enough wine, probably at least ONE of us will get up the nerve to ask...

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to sit on the Metro and speculate about the lives of the people around me. Everyone works so hard to be expressionless and still and I wonder what's behind the facade.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one time I had sex too soon with someone and by too soon, I mean the second date - I ended up feeling compelled to start a relationship with him so I wouldn't feel like such a tart. World's worst relationship. Huge mistake. Never again, even if I was still single.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

My husband and I play the "have they done it" game too. He always thinks yes. Probably because he likes to picture it.

teebs, I'm with you there. In fact, any time I've had sex with a guy (we're talking single digits here) I've fallen madly in love with him. In fact, I think any time I've even made out with a guy I've fallen madly in love.

12:35 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

I play this game too, and the "I Wonder What Kinds of Faces This Person Makes While In Bed" game.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

I like going to clubs and watching how people dance. They say (whoever the hell THEY are) that how a person dances is how they screw. It's interesting to say the least. :)

1:34 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Not to mention, why are they out in public, when they could be in bed. Get it while it's still hot, it will be stale by 6 weeks, trust me.

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home