Monday, March 20, 2006

Some Long-Awaited Photos

I'm just getting started; I promise there will be more. Think of this as an amuse bouche. An amuse bouche that took me an hour and a half to upload as laundry spun, the doorbell rang, and I tried to down a bowl of cereal while getting dressed.

You can get almost anything you want in New York City, but one thing we don't have is beautiful mountains by the side of the road:
Through the window of the rented car

Another is palm trees:

Venice Beach, gorgeous even when overcast

Below is Santa Monica Pier. When I look at this photo, I should remember the beautiful walk that my husband and I took to get here, hand in hand along the beach. I should also remember the stunning majesty and natural beauty of the Pacific Ocean. The happy, smiling children eager to go on the rides. The amazing skill of the surfers we saw. Man bonding with nature.

Instead, all I can think of is:

"Come and knock on our door..."

(One of the opening sequences of Three's Company was filmed here.)

Finally, here is the tiny little plastic chicken from my cosmetics drawer:

Ty thinks I should submit it to Cute Overload; what do you think? To show its scale, I have placed it next to a two-Euro coin, because the Trattoria Breve is so sophisticated and international and cosmopolitan. It occurred to me that, unfortunately, the size of a two-Euro coin is not immediately recognizable to non-Europeans. Therefore, I have included another bonus photo of the tiny little chicken, this time next to a quarter:



I even wiped off the kitchen counter for you. Never let it be said that I don't care about my readers!

10 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Even though I have seen a 2-Euro coin before, I must admit that the quarter (that could fit in my nostril!) gave me a better sense of scale of the tiny cuteness of the chicken and chick.

Lovely photos. I am jealous. I want to be on vacation in a warm clime for a few days now. Thank God B-List is coming soon.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

You and that damn Cute Overload! Why did I ever click on the link??? Ah well, perhaps it balances out the snark from the GoFug girls...

I love the vacation pics, except the mountains. Is it bad to say that I'm sick of mountains?

And I second the "Thank God" from Mrs. H! I'm positively giddy about it.

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red kitchen counter. Red shoes. You rock my world.

P.S. I have the same chicken AND a 2 euro coin. How about that!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

The 2-Euro canon worked for me. As a special bonus, it was even a German one! Go you!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Dan said...

The chicken is cute.

I love those trees. It looks so peaceful.

6:04 PM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

You have red counters? I likey! And the little chicken is pretty darn cute. lololol @ Three's Company. God, can't remember the last time I thought of that show :-)

11:22 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I WANT that counter! And the chicken!

12:26 AM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

1. I am laughing my ASS OFF right now because when I scrolled to the picture of the pier, the first thing I thought was, "Hey! I wanna watch some Three's Company!" I, um, loved that show.

2. I like the chicken. Submit it!

3. I love the colour of your counter. Is it formica?

4. The mountain picture is gorgeous. "The hills are alive..."

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one TINY plastic chicken!

I'm looking forward to the rest of the photos AND I'll add an amen to that "thank god".

11:06 AM  
Blogger Jess Riley said...

Wonderful photos!

I sure do want to go on a vacation right about now. :(

Did you wear a t-shirt that read "Blondes prefer gentlemen!" and knock over some milk bottles with one throw at the pier? ;)

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home