Monday, November 07, 2005

City of Husbandly Love

I don't think Ty quite knew what he was in for when we first struck up a conversation in a cafe. Hot coffee, comfortable chairs, fresh-faced young graduate student...what could go wrong? Single men, be wary.

Now, six years, three rings, and a shared electric bill later, he and I are planning a little trip to Philadelphia. For normal people, this might involve a visit to the Liberty Bell, taking in an Eagles game, seeing the house where Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence, and perhaps an hour or two at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

And then, there's the Philly itinerary for people who are traveling with me.

Our first stop will be the Mutter Museum (imagine an umlaut over the u in Mutter, because I haven't figured out how to do international characters in Blogger and I'm enough of a show-off that I not only want you to know that I didn't forget it, but I also want you to know that I know that it's called an umlaut. While we're at it, imagine an accent mark over the e in the word cafe at the end of the first sentence of this post.) Here, we will be able to look at medical oddities such as the Giant Colon and the Soap Lady. It's a good thing I didn't click the "Facilities Rental" link on their webpage before we got engaged, or our wedding guests probably would have been nibbling shrimp in the midst of the preserved skeletons of nineteenth-century conjoined twins.

Once we're somewhat tenderized, we'll head over to the Body Worlds exhibit to view more recently preserved human bodies positioned in lifelike poses. Where does this fascination with the morbid come from? I'm not exactly sure, but I think it has something to do with high school.

After that, we'll head to Pat's and Geno's to sample the dueling cheesesteaks, of course. And, just in case you were wondering, I'm not the only sicko who would think of eating after observing the nervous system of a skinless chess player. The Body Worlds link even has a list of Philadelphia restaurants that offer a discount if you show your Body Worlds ticket stub. (Pat's and Geno's are not on the list--I checked.)

At the end of the day, we'll get a restful night's sleep at the hotel that I chose because the rate includes a hot breakfast station where guests can make their own fresh waffles. I plan to bring my own real maple syrup, because I'm not a fan of the dreadful "pancake syrup" that these places invariably serve.

Isn't he a keeper?

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

You will love, love, love both the Body World exhibit and the Mutter. My husband I and saw Body World a couple of weeks ago (my idea originally, but he made all the moves; he is also a keeper). It's amazing, but also a little draining. Be warned that there is a section in both places of babies. Since you, like me, have pregnancy on the brain, it can be mighty disconcerting. There is also a Body World pregnant female - also disconcerting, to say the least.

That said, shoot me an email if you need suggestions on where to eat, sightsee, etc. I lived in the city for many moons (and still work there) and now live just outside the city limits to the west.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Thanks for the warning re. the pregnancy exhibits; now I'll be prepared.

I'd love some restaurant and sightseeing recommendations. I couldn't find your email address. Is it OK to IM you?

1:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Oops, sorry about that. Of course you can IM me. teminy on AIM service. :)

2:57 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Body Worlds (or Körperwelten for those who enjoy umlauts!) is simply mahvelous, and I am entirely sure you'll love it. I tarried quite a bit, taking in all the sights, but my mom, who's a nurse, was in there an hour longer than I was. I saw it in Bavaria, where it had been censored by local officials: they weren't allowed to display the horse.

1:06 PM  
Blogger ptg said...

This reminds me of the early 60's when I was living in Alexandria, VA. In those days there was quite the morbid museum right on the Mall in D.C. It was called the Army Medical Museum.It is gone now, but you would have loved it!

As a bit of a prankster, I determined to sneak a chunk of raw calf's liver into the museum and pretend that I had grabbed up and was eating one of the exhibits. This didn't go over well.

I used to wonder if this foolishness contributed to the museum's subsequent closure.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home