Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Accidental Has-Been

More than a decade ago, I had a really fun summer job that involved attending black-tie events with celebrities.

Now, on a good day, I get to attend the shower.

A little less than a decade ago, I stood in bright, shiny collegiate graduation gear while members of an esteemed committee taught me a secret handshake.

Within the past few weeks, one of my sons quickly squatted in the bathtub, grunted, and then handed--yes, HANDED--me a solid, perfectly-formed turd. "Rock," he pronounced.

Lines are forming around my eyes almost as quickly as Italian vocabulary words are fleeing my brain.

Am I a shell of my former self, or am I something new entirely?

Which way is really "it"?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have gained more layers on top of the shiny memories of yore. no shells, no new, just more.

you have not traded one for the other; you have had the opportunity to live both.

and, "rock" -- that's wonderful. did i tell you about the time my niece placed her fresh "rock" on the dinner plate while her mother stepped into the kitchen for a moment?

8:58 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

It's always you, you're just dressed in a new Mommy suit. Someday you'll put something new over that, maybe a writer suit, an explorer suit, or a tea-drinking-in-a-rocker suit. ;)

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hoo boy, that's tough. {{hug}}

There may be a clue in your description of your child's turd as "perfectly formed."

2:32 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

You're the same person with different stains on your clothes and a new set of reasons to guzzle wine in the evening.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home