Friday, August 11, 2006

Week 6 Update

It's definitely twins.

Two heartbeats and everything.

And two blood clots in two placentas.

Despite all my medicating.

(Fortunately, the clots are in locations where they aren't likely to cause harm, but they must be monitored.)

And an enlarged ovary. Which will probably go back to normal on its own, or else I may lose it, or else it may kill me. I'm being a little bit facetious; these are real threats, but very unlikely.

This was all detected while one doctor rummaged around in my cooter for about a half an hour, saying things like "placenta previa" and "PCOS" to another doctor, as if I were part of the furniture and not A HUMAN BEING WITH EARS AND A BRAIN AND A BIT OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT WHAT THESE MYSTERIOUS WORDS MEAN, WITH MY LEGS HANGING OPEN WIDER THAN THE WALLS OF THE ROOM.

I'm on bedrest for at least a week or so.

A planned C-section is highly recommended down the line.

I'm not happy.

But that could also have something to do with the 23 VIALS OF BLOOD that were taken from my two arms this morning (they couldn't get enough blood out of one).

While I fasted.

I feel like absolute shit.

And not the slightest bit maternal.

Suddenly, the smoothness of my scarred-and-bruised stomach is a concern that's been back-burnered. There are going to be many, many, many more sacrifices than that.

This is not going to be a magazine-cover pregnancy.

Oh, did I mention that the cable is out?

9 Comments:

Blogger Mignon said...

Oh man! Any ONE of those things could have made this the worst day ever. I guess maybe all at once has saved you from having more worst-days-ever in the future? Whatever, man - you NEED something! Chocolate, filet mignon, an in-home pedi/mani appointment - all of it!

Take care of yourself! You're coming up on the Dr. Phil/Oprah hours anyway - you don't need cable for those do you?

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife has PCOS, so if I can provide any ifo, let me know. There are some good websites. Hang in there, and take care of yourself.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my best friends has PCOS, and I had placenta previa with both pregnancies. Hang in there, be good to yourself and please, if there's anything I can do...tell me.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to do just fine. Do just what the doctor says, but for God's sake, get that cable fixed.

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Arabella, there are many other ways you can be an exceptional human being--no need to monopolize all the pregnancy complications.

Sorry. That's my lame attempt to make you laugh when things are decidedly not funny.

I'm with Mignon, this calls for steak.

My mom's advice would be to take things a day at a time. I know it's a cliche but it is so true. Focus just on getting through the day before you and facing its challenges. Keep faith. You've got two heartbeats!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Not to sound too churchy, but that saying about God only giving you what you can handle is true. You are perfectly equipped to deal with this laundry list of possible issues, and you're smart enough to educate yourself on how to do so!

I know it won't be easy, but you can do it! Stay strong.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

As my Mom would say, "Jesus God!" Yeah, it doesn't make much sense when SHE says it either.

You're going to get through this Arabella. And when it's all done, you're going to have two beautiful babies to adore and remind you how worth it it all was.

Now go eat something sinful.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Arabella. You are going to do great. I am so very happy to hear that everything is basically fine so far, two heartbeats, no problems with the clots.
Whatever I can do to help, I'm here, as are your other blog chicks I'm sure. We'll be beside you (virtually) every step of the way.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you. I haven't been able to keep up with posts for ages and I just read about the pregnancy and the TWINS. You are in my thoughts!

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home