Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Definitely a French Toast Morning

Last week I was told I would have to have a lot of blood taken in the process of fertility diagnosis. Today, I woke up early for the privilege of having 587 vials of blood drawn (Ty says the number increases every time I talk about it, which is constantly).

"Do I have to fast first?" I asked the nurse, near tears.

"No. In fact, before your blood test, make sure you eat and drink enough so tha--"

I didn't hear the end of the sentence. In my mind, I was already sprinkling the cinnamon on the golden brown slices.

I was all set to post a picture of a stick of butter, but there was a glare on the shiny wax paper packaging that I couldn't get rid of. Also, the photo kept reminding me of that "get the butter" scene with Brando in the kitchen in Last Tango in Paris, and that's not an image I need in my head right now.

Instead, I will just tell you that the February 2006 issue of Food & Wine magazine tells you to "indulge yourself," and contains articles "in passionate defense of...pasta and other outlawed carbs." The cover photo is a bowl of penne dressed in what appears to be some kind of silky ricotta, the edges of the pasta toasted brown by the heat of the oven broiler. Who needs Playgirl???

I love to eat most foods, but I definitely think carbs make for the ultimate comfort foods. Lately, my three favorite comfort foods are, in order, 1. French toast; 2. potato leek soup; and 3. chocolate chip cookies.

What are yours?

12 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

I cannot survive unless I have pasta at least once a week, with a big, pretty salad and garlic bread. Lately it's been all about a pesto or a bechamel sauce, but tomato will do. That's #1.

#2 is the peanut butter cookies I made over the weekend. This time, I replaced the shortening with margarine. Good bye disgusting shortening aftertaste!

#3 is mashed potatoes, hands down. Time constraints have forced me into ingesting the Betty Crocker instant type, but with enough gravy, they provide the requisite comfort needed.

Good luck with the blood! I'm looking forward to leaking ultrasound gel today. :)

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Creamy seafood chowder, pasta with sundried tomatoes and mushrooms and crab dip with lots of cheese. Yum.

I hope the tests go well today and that you get to enjoy a steaming, creamy bowl of potato soup for dinner and chocolate chip cookies for desser. .

10:53 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

You all are making me SO hungry! And not for that ham and cheese sandwich I have in the fridge either. What I'm craving right now...

1. Hot fresh breadrolls
2. Japanese: the whole deal
3. Pound Cake

Ew. None of those go well together! But that would be my perfect meal right about now. I'm not pregnant or PMS'n, just naturally strange. :)

12:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Mmm...pesto, guacamole and tiramisu. But not together.

Good luck with all of these tests, Arabella. I hope they let you keep a little bit of blood at least...

12:08 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

You're going to have track marks! I wear them like a badge of honor, and so should you.

Mine...
1) Toasted baguette dripping with butter.
2) Mashed potatoes (yay, mrs.h!)
3) Irish oatmeal with a little cream and brown sugar

OMG! The baby just pulled himself up to standing!!
OMG! The baby has a rock in his mouth!!

1:11 PM  
Blogger mamatulip said...

1. Mashed potatoes.
2. Homemade chicken soup.
3. Chili.
4. Homemade chicken pot pie.
5. Chocolate.
6. Kraft Dinner.
7. Orange pop and ginger ale.

Good luck with the testing. :)

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've already eaten two lunches between the hours of 1pm and 5pm -- typically just more food, no matter what it is, is comfort food. but my favorites:

1. monte cristo from gravy, a diner in carroll gardens (brooklyn). their version is ham, turkey and swiss served on three layers of french toast with a side of strawberry jam and creme fraiche, plus plenty of powdered sugar. arabella -- we will go back soon to replenish your sanguinity.

2. ben & jerry's chubby hubby ice cream

3. ring dings (though not ding dongs, but sometimes replaceable by yodels)

4. a tub of vanilla icing with chocolate chips thrown in

5. pizza (most comforting from a place open late when very hungry and drunk in the wee hours of morning)

the theme here is chocolate and sugar.

6:23 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Hmmmm. I just ate and now am hungry again after reading all this.

1. biscuits & sausage gravy
2. chocolate cake with lots of frosting - fresh and still slightly warm from the oven
3. hot artichoke dip

Good Lord! I feel like I put on a few pounds just thinking about it all!!!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

SAUSAGE GRAVY! Why didn't I think of that?

10:29 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

Comfort food, anything bad in large amounts and I LOVE Coke and I have been trying to kick my soda habit. No wonder I am so touchy and sad lately.

Don't worry, they draw tons and tons of blood once you are pregnant as well.

1:22 AM  
Blogger ptg said...

Pasta fits perfectly into my enforced 500-750 mg sodium restricted diet. I have spent years trying to perfect a salt-free faux sausage, that I might enjoy sausage gravy again. Oop, I've drooled onto my keyboard.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

I think I have a few new comfort foods to add to my list now.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home