Monday, January 02, 2006

Tapas at the Trattoria

Happy 2006! I apologize for posting so late today.

Like 3,405,607,321 other people, I would like to lose five pounds this year. Unfortunately, I enjoy food more than about 3,405,607,315 of those people. Plain grilled chicken does almost nothing for me, and I'm honestly not a big fan of whole-grain bread. I would only give up sugar if my life depended on it, not my thighs, and I could happily ensconce myself in cheese.

That said, I am a big fan of fresh, natural, organic foods, and I do love fruits and vegetables.

Hence, I bring you--and me--the following list, of Healthy(ish) Snacks That I Actually Like. I plan to consult it when I am hungry and need some inspiration.


Reduced Fat Triscuits with vegetable or garlic hummos or with Laughing Cow cheese

seedless grapes

roasted, salted almonds

walnuts mixed with dried cranberries

a single organic jewel yam, washed thoroughly, speared repeatedly with a fork, placed on a paper towel, and microwaved until soft (about 8 minutes on high power), then wrapped in aluminum foil to steam for a few minutes (careful; it will be hot); can then be split open, the two halves fluffed up with a fork, and sprinkled with salt and pepper, or a LITTLE bit of brown sugar and butter(!)

blueberries and raspberries mixed together

salad made with romaine lettuce, light ranch dressing, and sunflower seeds

yogurt

leeks sauteed in olive oil

Imagine soups in the pourable container (especially portobello mushroom)

makeshift soups consisting of leftover cooked veggies heated with chicken broth

leftover turkey chili with dark red kidney beans

oatmeal made with skim milk, sprinkled with a few semisweet or dark chocolate chips and then stirred up so the chocolate gets melty (C.S. gets the credit for this brilliant idea)

roasted sweet peppers with garlic, olive oil, and red wine vinegar

mushroom salad (sliced mushrooms sauteed with garlic, ginger, vinegar, a little bit of sesame oil, and a little bit of soy sauce)

oranges (I especially love citrus in winter)

prunes

pineapple chunks, fresh or canned

edamame

cucumber slices

roasted beets

sushi rolls (especially when made with brown rice)


If you've got other ideas, please add 'em in!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mignon said...

Sorry, I can only come up with things involving peanut butter, butter, lots of bread or cheese. My diet consists of things that are brown or different shades of brownish-yellow. I joined pounds2go.net, but I'm not overly optimistic.
But your list looks yummy! Maybe I'll print it and put it on the fridge.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great now I'm hungry and I just ate a handful of pistachios!

I'll add Dole fruit popsicles with no sugar added.

Frozen green grapes

carrot sticks/red pepper slices with light ranch or light blue cheese

lighly steamed asparagas/broccoli with tatziki-like dipping sauce made from ff sour cream, dill, lemon juice and garlic

apple slices with a little low fat peanut butter

6:25 PM  
Blogger Ditsy Chick said...

healthy snacks...healthy snacks....nope, it's a complete oxymoron for me.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home