Friday, December 23, 2005

Humbuggy Goodness

When I logged onto blogger this morning, the fucking cheery little Santa hat over the "o" (hehe, "o") reminded me that I'm supposed to be merry and festive and wide-eyed and all that shit. It's not shit; I didn't mean that. I just meant that I'm having a little trouble getting into the Christmas spirit this year, what with the (now finally over) transit strike and the eighteen-page list of work things to do and the blowing of the nose seven times a day and winding up with a tissue full of bloody mucus each time and the weird lightbulb that went out and that I don't know how to change and the sweaty feet resulting from my wearing tights under my pants because I don't own a pair of long underwear like a normal person and it's so frickin' cold (mom, don't you dare rush out and buy a pair as a last-minute Christmas present; I'll do it myself, now that the subways are up and running). I don't even understand the Christmas decal over the Google logo, and I haven't had any peppermint schnapps yet today. YET.

In flagrant violation of everything my excellent college creative writing teacher taught me ("Show us, don't tell us!"), I am posting this picture, taken last night on one of the fun hipster streets in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area, complete with explanation, as a metaphor for the way I'm feeling:



See how the lights are all distant and fuzzy and hard to see through the smeared glass barricade of the windshield? Get it?

Since I seem to be in the mood for flagrant violations, I'll also post this picture of the ornament that I made for my ornament exchange person. I'm feeling guilty because I suspect it won't arrive in time for Christmas, given that I only mailed it on Wednesday (after spending over an hour on line at the post office, most of it spent waiting in front of the stamp machine that I would have gladly used had it not had a big handwritten sign saying "Sold Out" taped to its front--good timing, right?):



So, there it is, good and decent women who wait for their ornament recipients to be genuinely surprised and don't provide a preview on the Internet, in all its cozy, Christmassy domesticity. I apologize for what is likely the breaking of several Craft Exchangers Codes; I am a mean, cruel urban bitch and I am new at this, but I did draw and cut out a picture of a kitty, see? The kitty is happy, all curled up on the couch by the fire. You can't see it, but off to the side, in the next room, is a woman happily roasting chestnuts and stringing popcorn and definitely NOT choking anybody. I'm not all bad, even if I did order lavender bath products for someone else as a present and then kept them for myself.

In contrast, here, in my she-who-has-much-to-learn-about-posting-photos fashion, are the TWO beautiful ornaments that I received in a timely fashion from Mignon, who writes nice posts to her daughter and organizes ornament exchanges and packs her ornaments complete with green tissue paper and a very sweet card:



These ornaments make me very happy. I think this year I will focus on the fact that I have made several new Internet friends, that people read my writing and comment. I am safe and healthy and have a wonderful husband who made me loin of pork with sage, family who gave my husband a ride during the transit strike, and a Jewish best friend who fashioned an angel for my nativity scene out of paper towels. I am very lucky. In fact, I am truly blessed.

I am feeling a little bit better now. I hope that, whatever difficulties each of you are facing this time of year, that you are able to say the same, that you are truly blessed. I intend to keep posting fairly regularly next week, but, just in case, I want to wish you all a very, very Merry Christmas, a Happy Hanukkah, a Happy Kwanzaa, a Happy New Year, and a happy Any Other Holiday That You Might Be Celebrating.

All the best of the season. I hope you are able to take some time to enjoy it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mignon said...

I'm glad you liked them... I agonized for real. I'm feeling a little maudlin myself this morning. I think because it rained on all our pretty snow. Or just because. Anyway, it sounds like you're on your way out of your funk, so cheers to you and Happy Christmas if your offline over the weekend!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Ugh, why must I be in a rush? YOU'RE!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Tink said...

I'm glad someone else is confused by the Google logo too. I mean seriously, WTF are they plugging in? And why is the "G" swung open like that? Is the cat not eating the mouse due to his overwhelming Holiday spirit? Or is he merely hoping to cook him first when they plug in whatever the hell it is they're plugging in? UGH.

Anyway... Have a fantastic holiday girl! Great use of descriptive pics. Your teacher would be proud.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! The ornaments - both the one you made(love the kitty)and the ones you recived - the writing, the sentiment, all of it.

Thank you for helping me to remember that I am and do feel blessed as well.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i didn't get the google logo thing either at first (i know you said a lot more, arabella, that i should be focusing on, but this is making me feel productive and we can discuss your discontent in private) but if you click on it, it takes you to a page of "doodles." it's sort of a comic strip that's unfolding as, i assume, we count down to christmas (and in this year's case chanukah as well).

- this year's doodle
- last year's

and doodle 8 is from the summer olympics last year.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Oh, thank goodness about the Google logo, I thought I was going senile before 30. Thanks for explaining it, C.S. I hope you are feeling better. Everybody, please send C.S. getting-well thoughts; she has the flu or something.

Mignon, I'm sorry you agonized. It all paid off; I really love them, and they are really helping to get me into the right frame of mind. :)

Thanks for the compliments, Tink and TB!

12:12 PM  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

cute little shadow box thingy. very crafty of you. I too, was watching the whole Google thing unfold and wondering WTF?

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home