Wednesday, December 14, 2005

IMDB I Am Not

Nevertheless, please allow me to list some of my favorite Christmas movies for you, in random order:

1. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation--For anyone who's ever had family, and had their Currier & Ives holiday fantasies burst into flames (literally). Also notable for a young Juliette Lewis and Johnny Galecki (of later Roseanne fame).

Sample Lines:

Uncle Clark: "Nervous, or excited?"

Little Ruby Sue: "Shittin' bricks."

Uncle Clark: "You shouldn't use that word."

Ruby Sue (in earnest): "Sorry. Shittin' rocks."

2. A Charlie Brown Christmas--It just never, never, ever gets old.

3. A Christmas Carol (Alastair Sim version)--Surprisingly funny at times, and the lines are priceless.

4. Scrooged--My brother and I still say, "Ooohhh, it's a TOASTER!" before we fake-hit each other with household objects.

5. Christmas Eve on Sesame Street--Will this be the year I subject Ty to it? Is he ready for my tears upon seeing Mr. Hooper?

6. Diary of a Mad Housewife--A woman thinks she's going crazy as chaos (holiday and otherwise) swirls around her. While not strictly a Christmas movie, it is very much worth searching out at any time of year. I can't believe that it hasn't been released on DVD; it is too good to be forgotten. The late, great Carrie Snodgress is funny, sweet, and brilliant. One of my all-time favorites.

Yours?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big Fish - also not really a holiday movie, but absolutely beautiful to look at, fanciful and charming so it fits with the holiday theme.
And my all time favorite - White Christmas. My mom watched it every year and it reminds me of her. Also Bing Crosby rocks and I love the singing and the dresses that Rosemary Clooney and Vera Allen wear. My sister and I used to perform that Sisters song for our parents every christmas.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

year without a santa claus - mostly for heat miser

a christmas story - peter billingsley rules

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

My mom is a fool for Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, and I have to admit, it's not half bad.

My personal fave is It's a Wonderful Life, because I think Jimmy Stewart was the handsomest guy of the 40s.

I love A Christmas Story, but I've gotten burned out after a few years of seeing it televised literally 24 hours (well, I only watched about 6 hours, but you get the idea) on TBS.

Never seen the Griswolds, but I may have to get over my dislike of Chevy Chase and watch this year!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Ditto on the White Christmas. Danny Kaye makes me teary he's just so Good. I listened to the soundtrack while studying for finals for all 4 years of college, and I still adore it, even though the Sisters song reminds me of Thermodynamics.

And also the movie where Danny Kaye and someone else end up in a mythical Irish(?) town from another time and they fall in love with some people. And there's lots of singing and it's very festive... does anyone know what this movie is? I feel too lazy for google today.

Oh! and Elf! I love this movie. Especially the scene with the dwarf children's book writer.

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my vote is for babes in toyland -- laurel & hardy style. a classic. and i'm a big fan of toys in babeland as well, but that's a different category.

how about a muppet christmas carol? "watch out for the icy patch!"

mignon: couldn't find the danny kaye movie, but it sounds familiar. also sounds like brigadoon, but danny kaye wasn't in that. gene kelly.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like a late 1980s SNL parody of Christmas albums, "A Dysfunctional Family Christmas," featuring such favorites as "I've Got My Drinking Under Control For The Holidays" and Dana Carvey as an old man singing "leave me alone, please go away, I'm doing find, just go away."

4:11 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

c.s. - Can you come along with me and interpret my screwed up old movie references always? Yes, I was thinking of Brigadoon. And also Hans Christian Anderson. Neither are Christmas. But Danny Kaye! And mythical Irish villages! So festive!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I am gonna hafta go with the sappy:

I'm with Meckhead on "Love Actually" (in fact, I saw it with her! In Munich! In German, if I'm not mistaken?) and I'd like to throw "While You Were Sleeping" into the mix as well.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Thank you all for these suggestions! Some of them are beloved favorites that I had forgotten about, and others I really look forward to trying.

If anyone else rents A Muppet Christmas Carol, will you please tell me whether I'm crazy, or whether Beeker actually gives Michael Caine the finger?

I love Christmas movies (and shows)!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home