Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Cold Stone, Warm Heart

Start spreading the news....

After last Friday night's burgers, C.S. led Ty and I into Times Square for our first Cold Stone Creamery experience. Being uninitiated, I ordered French Vanilla with mix-ins, and then developed hard-core Ice Cream Envy after sampling C.S.'s Cake Batter with chocolate chips.

The Ice Cream Envy continued all weekend, and on Monday, I had about an hour to kill before meeting C.S. for a lecture. Cold Stone it was.

I'm leaving today....

I exited the subway station at 42nd Street. Despite the freezing cold weather, the crowds of people were even larger than they normally are in Times Square in December. I noticed that several of them were also uniformed. Once I realized that it was not a terrorist attack, I was hugely relieved. Then, like the jaded New Yorker I am, I learned what it really was, and I was pissed.

It was a movie premiere for King Kong.

I want to be a part of it, New York New York....

About five years ago, I would have been eager to stick around and try to get a glimpse of Naomi Watts et. al. while standing around in a crowd and developing frostbite in my extremities. Now, however, all I could think about was the sweet, sweet ice cream.

I dutifully let Security lead me through one detour after another, until, exasperated, I finally said to one of the guards, "Look, I just want to go to Cold Stone. Can I do that?" He glanced across the street.

"If it's open, they have to let you in," he replied. "But it looks like they're closed."

But it didn't. Moving on...

I managed to cross the street and find another guard who said, "Sure. Just tell the woman checking the tickets that you're going to Cold Stone."

I told the woman checking the tickets. "We're not letting anyone through until the movie has started."

"When will that be?"

"I don't know."

If I can make it there I'll make it anywhere.....

Exasperated, I called C.S. at work and explained the situation. "I want you to look up the phone number of the Times Square Cold Stone. I'm going to call them and tell them I can't get to them."

"And what will that accomplish?"

"It's something to do."

She gave it to me. I called and explained the situation.

"Well, we can have someone from here bring you the ice cream if you can't get to us."

"Are you serious?"

"Sure. Just tell us what you want."

"I'll have a 'Like It' with Cake Batter ice cream, almonds, and chocolate chips."

"Are you sure you don't want a 'Love It'? It's only 70 cents more."

"I'm sure. I'm wearing a red coat."

"It'll be $5.25. I'll look for you."

I called C.S. "They're bringing me the ice cream outside."

"Are you serious???"

"Yes."

"You'd better tip them good."

"How much?"

"At least two dollars." C.S. consulted with her humorously disgruntled coworker, Viggo. He agreed.

"I've gotta go. She's here."

In front of me was the cutest girl I've ever seen, shivering in her short-sleeved Cold Stone T-shirt and looking all around. I waved to her.

"I'm sorry; should I have brought you a bag?"

"No, no, it's just fine. Thank you so much!"

I'll make a brand new start of it...

I actually found a quiet place to sit in the middle of Times Square. With my gloved hands, I ate every last drop. Licking my lips, I put my trash in the bin, pulled out my MetroCard, and ran off to meet my friend.

Even if someone insults you on Friday night, on Monday, someone else will mix your ice cream for you and bring it to you as you stand outside the barricade that separates you from the celebrities a hundred yards away.

It's up to you, New York, New York.

(Great song, Kander and Ebb. So, so true.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Arabella said...

Yeah, it pretty much made my day.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home