Monday, November 14, 2005

Cured Meats and Corpses

Ty and I have returned from our wonderful trip to Philly! Thanks, Mrs. Harridan, for your great suggestions!

On Friday, we went straight to Tony Luke's for sandwiches (as per Mrs. Harridan's advice). At Tony Luke's, we Partook of the Pork--specifically, the Roast Pork Italian, which was deliciously moist roasted pork brilliantly paired with broccoli rabe and sharp shaved provolone on Italian bread. Mmmmm. I preferred this to the cheesesteak, which, though good, was less interesting, in my opinion. We had it with provolone, and vowed to return to try it with Whiz.

We then went to Body Worlds, which I found more reverent, less creepy, and even more compelling than I expected. Very powerful. After the Dead Body Display Fiesta, we went to dinner at Bridgid's, also recommended by Mrs. Harridan, where I had Delicious Creamy Red Snapper and Ty had Veal in Really Good Sauce (entree titles embellished as per my memory).

The next day, we hit Mutter, which was as interesting as I'd hoped. After working up an appetite by looking at gangrenous limbs in jars and wax models of severe dermatological conditions, we went to Chickie's Italian Deli for lunch.

Chickie's was profiled in "Sandwiches That You Will Like." They are famous for their Veggie Hoagie, which is packed with eggplant, broccoli rabe, roasted peppers, provolone, and other beautiful things on soft, crusty Italian bread. The Veggie Hoagie can be on the left (next to the Italian Hoagie), in a shot that doesn't do it justice.

Later, at Reading Terminal Market, we bought a Pork Tenderloin Stuffed With Sausage and Wrapped in Bacon, because, well, how can you see something like that and not buy it?


And now, having both eaten what I've eaten this weekend and seen the bodies and diseased organs at Body Worlds, I will be eating salad for lunch every day this week. Salad with homemade roasted peppers, but salad nonetheless.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

Arabella, I am so glad that you had a good time (not to mention that you were happy with my recommendations)! Those sandwiches do, indeed, look like sandwiches I would like. I hope PBS airs that documentary again.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home