Monday, September 24, 2007

I Know, I Know

Almost two weeks without a post! I can't believe it. However, fear not--or, fear greatly, depending on your perspective; I have zero intention of quitting. Various baby-related household projects have occupied my time, of late, but the majority of those projects are winding down.
No one got all the answers to the Travels with Arabella quiz! They are, as follows:


1) d; 2) d; 3) d; 4) c; 5) d; 6) a; 7) b; 8) c.


But I'm a sport, even if I hate sports. Here's your minor prize anyway. Stop complaining; I SAID it was minor:

Baby pants surround Daddy's pants

In other news, I have just weaned the boys, at 6 1/2 months of age. I didn't want to wean this early, but the boys basically lost all interest in nursing. The lovely Teebs sent me a link to a helpful article regarding the rarity of self-weaning before a year, and I've read similar information elsewhere, but, I'm here to tell you, these authors never met my boys. They are reaching for cups and mugs and computers and Us Weekly and pizza (no, I'm not giving them pizza; they're just reaching for it); they have no further use for lying down and eating like a baby. Other than the whole process being heartbreaking, there was virtually no physical discomfort, because the stepdown in nursing was gradual. Usually, of course, I'm a huge fan of free speech, but I'm having a hard enough time with this, and I'm going to invoke my blog-dictatorship rights and delete any comments that are anything other than supportive of my weaning. Now, please tell me I'm not a horrible mother.

I'm currently working on weaning the rest of the world, but it's proving significantly more difficult to get everyone else off my tits, you know? At least my boys latched onto me for nourishment. It seems that the vast majority of the universe likes to latch on just to mess with me.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw Arabella, that sucks, or doesn't suck as the case may be. Don't beat yourself up about it though. Anyone who can breastfeed twins for six and a half months is a freaking superhero in my book.
I'm curious to see what will happen when Myles starts solids next month. He's already very distractable on the boob as it is what with all of the sights and sounds and talking he has to do. It's nearly impossible to get him to eat for more than five minutes at a time.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pshaw, don't beat yourself up about spotty posting; look at me. And I don't know if this would help any, but I wouldn't have quit so soon. Just sayin'....

(Psst, I'm going for an outrageous commenter award)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I'm not sure what he just said - something about breastfeeding you? And then something about Super Penis Man? Mamalujo, go get a magazine and a half-hour to yourself in the bathroom then come back and comment.

Arabella, it's simple math. Two boys times six months equals one year. Perfect. I weaned mine then, and they were both done and mostly disinterested. From the beginning it's all about learning your baby's cues, and your boys were just all, "Screw this - it's way too hard. Gimme a meatball sub!"

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Mignon. You nursed TWINS for six months. You go!

I had to work really hard to keep my son from getting distracted during nursing at that age and I was only able to do that because he was my first kiddo and had my undivided attention. Now my daughter loved to nurse and went with it until she was 18 months old. Each child is different and you're a great mom for committing to nursing in the first place.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what are you feeding your boys now?
I've tried carrots and my next will be sweet potatoes i think. spoon feeding babies is fun. i like to just give him the bowl and let him get his hands in there and smear food all over the place.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home