Wednesday, November 29, 2006

For the record, I think they're brothers

Because my best friend C.S. now lives in California and I am approximately 400 months pregnant, there are very few hours in the day when she and I are simultaneously awake, not working, and not rubbing cream on a stomach (me) or putting away massive amounts of fresh, buttery avocado (her). Therefore, our time on the phone has become more limited.

Last night, she and I spoke on the phone periodically while she sat in traffic (TOLD YOU SO, C.S.) on her way to and from the bank and I ate turkey chili while watching Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. Naturally.

At one point, the topic turned to Bert and Ernie, and the ridiculous late-90's are-they-gay-or-aren't-they controversy.

I thought C.S. made the best point I'd heard on the subject:

"Children don't question the fact that there is a talking, seven-foot-tall bird walking down the street with an enormous, fuzzy brown elephant-type creature, also talking, both of whom routinely interact with humans and other types of animals. Are people really concerned that children will question the sexual lives of the Muppets?"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's got a point. I was wondering the other day why my kids (and me, when I was a kid) don't question the characters on Sesame Street more.

I always thought they were cousins.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I once explained to Madeleine that a gay couple we know that adopted a child were like Bert and Ernie. Since then there have been zero questions about their lifestyle.

But I'm also happy to report that she finds the androgenous and speaking-in-third-person nature of Elmo both disturbing and irritating.

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bert and Ernie just seemed like best friends to me. And if they're lovers as well...then that's even better.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home