Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Favorite Charities

TB has a great post today about remembering those less fortunate than yourself. Inspired by her, and because Blogger had other plans than to let me post the first photos I would have posted since, oh, June or so, I've decided to take this opportunity to stop bitching about my own problems and to list some of my favorite charities.

1. Gilda's Club

Named for Gilda Radner, and intent on fulfilling her wish that cancer patients everywhere have a place to go for support, this organization provides a meeting place and support network for cancer patients and their families and friends.

2. City Harvest

Sadly, even in cities with great wealth, the hungry are often forgotten. This is a food rescue program dedicated to feeding New York City's 1 million hungry people.

3. Christian Children's Fund

Perhaps best known for its child sponsorship program, in which individuals correspond with and sponsor a particular child in need on a regular basis, this organization has many programs designed to help provide food, clothing, education, and medical care to the world's poorest children, including emergency funds designed to bring quick relief to areas with acute problems.

---
Please consider these organizations for your holiday or year-end giving, or post some of your own favorite charities in the comments section!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Arabella, you rock.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Mignon said...

My favorite is the one I posted a while ago:
http://www.globalgiving.com/pr/1600/proj1583a.html

I'm just overwhelmed by it all, and sometimes a very specific destination for my donation helps me help others.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

Wait - I forgot to say - are you going Beta? When I tried to get on your site earlier it told me you were upgrading, and I was all Huh?

In fact, it was just like an experience I had tonight: I drove to a friend's house who just had a baby on Monday. It's her third and I brought her a bottle of champagne and her older kids a big puzzle. Her mom barely cracked the door and eyed me nervously. She took my stuff and told me everyone was otherwise occupied (meanwhile I could hear my friend talking to her son as she nursed - she's a very relaxed mom). So I imagined Blogger cracking the door and saying "Arabella's uh... BUSY, yeah BUSY going BETA..." and stuff. Like someone's misguided and overprotective mom.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Awww...thanks, Teebs!

Mignon, that is hilarious. And the switch was a pretty long "two minutes," wasn't it?

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home