Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stuff I Hate

It's hot, and I'm tired, and my hands are inexplicably itchy, and I gave everyone else an opportunity to complain a few days ago, so here I go:

1. Broken air conditioners.

2. When employers say to you, "Send resume and salary requirements to..." and thereby require you to bid against yourself. Can't they just say, "We're looking to pay $XK to $YK, with the possibility for increased compensation based on remarkable skills or experience"? C.S. and I wasted a lot of time perfecting the wording of her cover letter, only for her to be told, immediately, that the job paid considerably less than she was looking for. Would it have broken their hearts to have said that upfront?

3. Mosquito bites. The little fuckers!

4. Imperfect Internet and cable connections. There's a reason that I didn't post yesterday until the late afternoon, and that I wasn't able to watch E! News Live in the evening. Oh, how I wish I had other options! Competition would take care of this nonsense in a heartbeat.

5. Fake worn-out lines on the front hips of denim jeans. This is not an area that I'd like to draw attention to, thank you very much. And, a year or so from now, this'll look about as fashionable as acid-washed M.C. Hammer-style jeans.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand that salary requirement thing either. When my husband got his current job, he listed a salary range on his resume (based on the average salaries in his field). The job offer he got came with a very specific dollar amount, so if they already knew that's how much they were paying, why not just say so?

5. I've also seen deliberately ripped knees, spots that look like acid burns, and the thigh part rubbed away with what looks like sandpaper. What is up with that?

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate those fake worn lines on jeans too. HATE THEM. And the jeans that have the thighs bleached out. Just not a good look.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Mignon said...

I get itchy hands sometimes too. At the base of my thumbs. I always worry I'm going to wind up looking like my 10th grade civics teacher who had eczema all over her hands and was constantly raking at them. She also had warts on her face. So! How 'bout them Yankees?

2:39 PM  
Blogger Tink said...

I agree to all of those, plus:

1. When you're in mid conversation and a little booger flies out of your nose.

2. Hangnails

3. Drinking something that is NOT what you thought it would be.

4. Wednesdays

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa,, the MC Hammer pants aren't in style anymore? Damn.

When they ask for salary requirements I am always think of saying "ummmm a lot!".. a million dollars. I mean, gosh, that is like a teacher asking you to grade yourself.

Oh, and the person who said they hate drinking something that is not what you thought it would be.. I couldn't agree more. I have done that a lot thinking I am getting a cold glass of water and it is Sprite or something.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Insomnia
2. Paper cuts
3. Waiting
4. Effortless beauty on someone else
5. Affectation (like those fake lines on the pants)

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you already know how I feel about mosquitos, but the lines in the jeans thing? Is that back in style? It was in for about 30 seconds in 2001 and I actually bought a pair and then I felt hopelessly out of style wearing them and gave them away to Goodwill. Damn it.
But seriously, like a pair of jeans I owned in 2001 would still fit me anyway. Hey, there's another thing I hate! My stupid 35 year old metabolism!!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Harridan said...

TB, I feel you. I am suddenly too fat for all my jean capris (and I sort of LOATHE shorts).

I don't mind the hip striations on jeans, but I do hate the bleached out thighs. And the purposeful ripped knees.

Add to that:

1. pigeons
2. flies (I have a fly infestation in my house. I would actually prefer mosqitoes.)
3. people who remove my tomatoes from the vines and then throw them.
4. fucking up the word verification on Blogger. I hate you, Blogger.

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home